• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Choosing a specific Pantone

vid

Sorry I'm late getting back to this thread

___ Could you upload your Pantone PDFs that you use for your workaround? That would be very helpful...

I'm not at the shop. But, it started as literally six squares on a 8.5" x 11" art board then saved as a PDF. It was to simply get 6 PMS colors into a specific sign program built in Flexi. Now it's got a couple pictograms on it of different items we frequently use. There might be eight swatches on it now. In reality, there's no reason to use it now as the sign program is done.

But that's how that PDF is used for other jobs. We just swap out the PMS colors to ones that we need for different customer sign programs. It's not a consistent enough workflow to call it efficient --- mainly because we don't know how to import type from AI into Flexi. However, for a number of sign programs, it has been how we've worked around the frustrations of selecting Pantone colors in Flexi. It seems to be just as fast doing that as scrolling palettes in Flexi.

By the way, thanks for the type about unformatted text --- but yeah, as you guess we're looking for a way to import a file with formatted text.

...and to answer the implied question, "what's the value of Flexi over any other design software?" IMHO, there's isn't much, if any. It seems like I'm going through infinitely more mouse clicks than I ever did or do in either Illustrator or CorelDraw to accomplish the same tasks. It's a miserable design tool by comparison.

However, as production software goes, it's pretty good. In our shop, it is the common software that drives a number of different pieces of equipment (i.e. printers, plotters...) or is the best bridge to the software that does drive the equipment.​

So why not just build a swatch table with all the colors in it. It takes like two seconds.

Admittedly I've never taken the time to figure out how to do it in Flexi. It's just as efficient for us to to open an existing customer file, or the templated PDF and eyedrop the particular PMS color from the artwork.

Like Wayne, finding a Pantone color in Flexi is not an issue. It's navigating through the swatches that is the chore for me, too.

Best,
vid

Wayne Gilbert

Well said, "Vid"

Sorry I'm late getting back to this thread

I'm not at the shop. But, it started as literally six squares on a 8.5" x 11" art board then saved as a PDF. It was to simply get 6 PMS colors into a specific sign program built in Flexi. Now it's got a couple pictograms on it of different items we frequently use. There might be eight swatches on it now. In reality, there's no reason to use it now as the sign program is done.

But that's how that PDF is used for other jobs. We just swap out the PMS colors to ones that we need for different customer sign programs. It's not a consistent enough workflow to call it efficient --- mainly because we don't know how to import type from AI into Flexi. However, for a number of sign programs, it has been how we've worked around the frustrations of selecting Pantone colors in Flexi. It seems to be just as fast doing that as scrolling palettes in Flexi.

By the way, thanks for the type about unformatted text --- but yeah, as you guess we're looking for a way to import a file with formatted text.

...and to answer the implied question, "what's the value of Flexi over any other design software?" IMHO, there's isn't much, if any. It seems like I'm going through infinitely more mouse clicks than I ever did or do in either Illustrator or CorelDraw to accomplish the same tasks. It's a miserable design tool by comparison.

However, as production software goes, it's pretty good. In our shop, it is the common software that drives a number of different pieces of equipment (i.e. printers, plotters...) or is the best bridge to the software that does drive the equipment.​

Admittedly I've never taken the time to figure out how to do it in Flexi. It's just as efficient for us to to open an existing customer file, or the templated PDF and eyedrop the particular PMS color from the artwork.

Like Wayne, finding a Pantone color in Flexi is not an issue. It's navigating through the swatches that is the chore for me, too.

Best,
vid

As soon as we get a bit of breathing room, I'm switching everything over to Corel. I'm tired of inding thinks Flexi WON'T do...

The trick will be getting Corel to accept the plugins (for printer/plotter output) that Flexi (easily) accepts (only good thing about Flexi I have discovered thus far). If not, then I will just create EPS or PDFs and drag via Windows Explorer to the print/plot production apps. Anybody have any luck getting (the Flexi) plugins to work in Corel? If so, please give me (us) tips...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
There is a Pantone Library. But it's not a swatch table at the bottom of your screen yet. If you make another swatch table and add the pantone library to it. All the pantone colors will appear on the bottom of your screen. So you could select object and just select color on the bottom to change it. I don't see how it can get easier then this. Never used anything but illustrator and flexi though. In my opinion I like flexis way better then illustrator.

Well you're nearly right...Simply right click any swatch table on your screen, click Open Table, select the Pantone Table of your choice and *boom* it's on your screen as a swatch. No need to create a swatch table then add anything. And it doesn't need to be on the bottom of the screen (see photo). I prefer mine lined up on the right. Left side pallette is Pantone, right side palette is all my custom colors for customers and everyday standard colors.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 138

Wayne Gilbert

Navigation through Pantones

Well you're nearly right...Simply right click any swatch table on your screen, click Open Table, select the Pantone Table of your choice and *boom* it's on your screen as a swatch. No need to create a swatch table then add anything. And it doesn't need to be on the bottom of the screen (see photo). I prefer mine lined up on the right. Left side pallette is Pantone, right side palette is all my custom colors for customers and everyday standard colors.

No offense, but once again, the issue is not obtaining and viewing Pantone tables or libraries, the issue is efficiently navigating through such (Corel does this with great ease and efficiency).

DerbyCitySignGuy

What version of Illustrator are ya'll using? You can search through Swatch Libraries in Illustrator by PMS number, it's pretty easy.

attachment.php

Attachments

• aiswatches.png
    aiswatches.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 184

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
What version of Illustrator are ya'll using? You can search through Swatch Libraries in Illustrator by PMS number, it's pretty easy.

attachment.php

Well yes we all know that! He asked about F L E X I. Honestly does anyone read the post?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Well yes we all know that! He asked about F L E X I. Honestly does anyone read the post?

Yes, I read all of the posts in the thread located in the F L E X I forum. I was responding to the folks who commented that Illustrator was clumsy at choosing Pantones. No need to go all Bob on everybody.