Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing colors that look good together

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Jean Shimp, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Jean Shimp

Jean Shimp Member

Oct 26, 2012
    jacksonville, fl
    I'm designing a sign for a day care business. The building is a barnyard red color. They want "kid friendly" colors on the sign as well as the barnyard (burnt) red. I'm not good at choosing colors. I know there is a science to working with colors. I'm looking for a program where I can pick a color and up pops different options for complimentary color combinations. I've looked at a couple of programs a few years ago that were built for this reason but they were not user friendly. I have Corel Draw and have not have much luck with their color choices - or maybe I just don't know how to use the software correctly. Any suggestions? TIA

Tags:
  2. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    • Like Like x 2
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  4. The Yanki & The Brit

The Yanki & The Brit The Yanki & The Brit Signs and Radio Show

Sep 3, 2014
    Texas
    Try this... Google Daycare Center Signs, or something similar, then click images and see what others are doing.... pastels and happy colors always work.
    lighter blues, yellows, reds, pastel greens and black for accent....tan....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nikdoobs

nikdoobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2013
    lafayette, la
    I stumbled upon this site the other day. Only used it once, but I like how it works. https://coolors.co/

6. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    I kind of like using Adobe's "color" web site. IIRC it used to be called "kuler." The web site is:
    https://color.adobe.com

Users of Creative Cloud can save the color palettes generated there for use in Adobe's applications. They just added some new accessibility tools to make color choices more friendly to people with color blindness.

• Like Like x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  7. DPD

DPD Member

Apr 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hi,

Childrens colors are usually red, yellow, blue, green, orange etc. Bright colors. I'd start there. Not sure if a color wheel and complementary colors etc. is the way to go.

8. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    box of crayons and substitute your red for the bright-red crayon.

...or go to adobe color swatch collection, pick a good one, and then shift-towards vinyl colors that are available to you.

9. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    never knew this one!

10. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I like this one the best, thanks for sharing. All those other ones that people posted where they pick complementary colors look bad IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    this ones pretty cool. can help with starting out with colours!

12. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    It is not a science, look at a color wheel, colors opposite on the color wheel are complimentary to each other.
    Like Christmas uses red and green. Kids like all colors try purple and lime green!

13. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    My daughter said there are only three colors in my room, white, grey and beige (carpet) I said I don't like beige colored carpet I like light grey. She said she wants rainbow carpet... wait... no she wants neon rainbow carpet so it can glow all night long. Just do a rainbow colored text. (PS, I did not design this)

[​IMG]

14. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    So why do they have the copy "Son Rise School" but their website is thesunriseschool.com?
    The bright blue color pole is what sells it for me, brings it all together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Good eye. They have more than one location and didn't or couldn't use the same exact name. I like the blue pole.

16. Geneva Olson

Geneva Olson Expert Storyteller

Sep 3, 2019
    Webster, TX
    www.coolers.co

17. SeeEmWhyKay

SeeEmWhyKay Print Plug & Pigment Procurer

Apr 22, 2020
    Fresno, Ca
    This is the coolest thing I have seen in a while. I've been doing it by hand and this totally streamlines the process. Thanks so much for the resource, Cheers!