• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Choosing colors that look good together

Jean Shimp

I'm designing a sign for a day care business. The building is a barnyard red color. They want "kid friendly" colors on the sign as well as the barnyard (burnt) red. I'm not good at choosing colors. I know there is a science to working with colors. I'm looking for a program where I can pick a color and up pops different options for complimentary color combinations. I've looked at a couple of programs a few years ago that were built for this reason but they were not user friendly. I have Corel Draw and have not have much luck with their color choices - or maybe I just don't know how to use the software correctly. Any suggestions? TIA

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Try this... Google Daycare Center Signs, or something similar, then click images and see what others are doing.... pastels and happy colors always work.
lighter blues, yellows, reds, pastel greens and black for accent....tan....

nikdoobs

I'm designing a sign for a day care business. The building is a barnyard red color. They want "kid friendly" colors on the sign as well as the barnyard (burnt) red. I'm not good at choosing colors. I know there is a science to working with colors. I'm looking for a program where I can pick a color and up pops different options for complimentary color combinations. I've looked at a couple of programs a few years ago that were built for this reason but they were not user friendly. I have Corel Draw and have not have much luck with their color choices - or maybe I just don't know how to use the software correctly. Any suggestions? TIA
I stumbled upon this site the other day. Only used it once, but I like how it works. https://coolors.co/

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I kind of like using Adobe's "color" web site. IIRC it used to be called "kuler." The web site is:
https://color.adobe.com

Users of Creative Cloud can save the color palettes generated there for use in Adobe's applications. They just added some new accessibility tools to make color choices more friendly to people with color blindness.

DPD

Hi,

Childrens colors are usually red, yellow, blue, green, orange etc. Bright colors. I'd start there. Not sure if a color wheel and complementary colors etc. is the way to go.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I kind of like using Adobe's "color" web site. IIRC it used to be called "kuler." The web site is:

Users of Creative Cloud can save the color palettes generated there for use in Adobe's applications. They just added some new accessibility tools to make color choices more friendly to people with color blindness.
never knew this one!

Johnny Best

It is not a science, look at a color wheel, colors opposite on the color wheel are complimentary to each other.
Like Christmas uses red and green. Kids like all colors try purple and lime green!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My daughter said there are only three colors in my room, white, grey and beige (carpet) I said I don't like beige colored carpet I like light grey. She said she wants rainbow carpet... wait... no she wants neon rainbow carpet so it can glow all night long. Just do a rainbow colored text. (PS, I did not design this)

ACtC-3casZy373CzvwAXyreJb1GkN4fYm-Bq2PY5iR41Q54zNuetsLBKsb1_f2lg2SKkwRjDSDkgl3yabMo_KX2kaWD9NVITcSKg55nnzu4ksXsmxk0wVeQVpRuJSkagpY0BogK6hfas3t1uGyacBjFjnSw9FQ=w742-h978-no

Johnny Best

So why do they have the copy "Son Rise School" but their website is thesunriseschool.com?
The bright blue color pole is what sells it for me, brings it all together.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So why do they have the copy "Son Rise School" but their website is thesunriseschool.com?
The bright blue color pole is what sells it for me, brings it all together.

Good eye. They have more than one location and didn't or couldn't use the same exact name. I like the blue pole.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
if you do a search for "complementary colour wheel" on the net, so many options come up.

https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/
www.coolers.co

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer

This is the coolest thing I have seen in a while. I've been doing it by hand and this totally streamlines the process. Thanks so much for the resource, Cheers!