Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromatic Banding

Discussion in 'Epson' started by CanuckSigns, Nov 1, 2019.

1. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We have had our S80600 for just over 2 years now, but in the last 6 months I've noticed I get fairly noticeable chromatic banding in certain colours, I just printed a job where I printed 2 full 54"x150' rolls of vinyl to a solid vivid blue colour, and there appeared to be what I call lawnmower marks in the print. These were printed on 6 pass.

When the printer was new it would print this colour perfectly, to the point you couldn't tell it apart from cut vinyl.

I've tried every adjustment that the printer allows me to and I did manage to get it better, but it's still faintly there especially on the side opposite the home position.

Has anyone come across this in the past and have a fix?

Tags:
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Is it possible to post a pic that shows what you are seeing?

3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yes a picture is the only way to know if it's banding, stepping, or something else.
    A picture of a nozzle test would be helpful too.

4. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Some colours band at 6 pass on our 60600.
    We run those jobs at 8 pass which mostly fixes the issue.

5. woolly

woolly Active Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Cornwall uk
    if you are convinced its chromatic banding and not mechanical then its down to several things actual print surface. bed temps. humidity. print speed. print head starting to fail slightly when under a high use.
    in a attempt to get the pigments to lay in the correct or similar manor in each direction perhaps lower the bed temp and lower the head speed as its more noticeable one end check the bed temp is equal across the width.

6. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Chromatic banding is more commonly related to UV-curing inks than solvent,so pics would help to diagnose.

7. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I've attached some photos, it's not as evident in the pics as it is in person, but if you look closely you can see banding lines, has anyone else experienced this?

Attached Files:

8. mdjamesd

mdjamesd Member

May 28, 2008
    Timonium, MD
    Just to make sure, is the banding in the direction the print head moves, or is it perpendicular? If perpendicular, check the pinch roller tension.

9. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Have you tried printing in uni-directional mode to rule out a calibration issue?

Joe

10. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    solid fields of dark blues...increase pass mode and make sure rail is clean and oiled...

11. tudouqiezi

tudouqiezi Member

May 23, 2017
    China
    I also met the same problem.

12. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Anyone else have this issue we have banding on some solid colors.