• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

chrome OS

ProWraps

because its for netbooks. i dont run "real" apps on my 12.1" atom processor netbook. i have other computers for that.

southshoredecal

its basically a browser that you can not close. all "apps" must be run through it, so that means online apps only. no other programs. it can boot in seconds flat and is very quick, but if you want to run something other then a browser not going to happen.

Joe Diaz

I think this is the first step towards true cloud computing, which I think is the future.

I do know that I like google chrome the browser.:thumb: I use that about as much as Firefox anymore.

omgsideburns

Waiting for it to try on my netbook.

Until then I've got the JoliCloud alpha running on it, and I have a few invites left if anyone wants one.

jiarby

Making a piece of software that controls a specific piece of hardware is reasonably easy... but that does not make it an "operating system". Make some software that can control ANY piece of hardware.... THEN you have done something.

Google (or anyone else) porting their browser to be the user shell for a specific piece of hardware does not quite make it an operating system.

rfulford

This is what microsoft was so scared of back in the 90s during the browser wars that eventually led to the antitrust suit against microsoft. 75 percent of the people out there will be happy to use google docs, gmail and watch youtube. Arm processors would be the way to go for this. They have no energy drain when asleep.

round man

Cloud computing hahahahahah I wanna see those folks design their own signs with web based software and then run down to wally werld and pick it up,...if this dog hunts its not too far off,....incidently ProWraps I can use my asus netbook to design on and run my plotter here,not full time but it will work inna pinch,...it is one of if the best sales tool I have found,it paid for itself the day after I bought it,.....

Last edited:

ProWraps

i love my asus. got the 12.1. keyboard a bit tight, but your right a great machine. bought it at wall mart for a STEAL. the 2gb model with atom processor.

omgsideburns

i have the 9" screen model with the atom n270, 2gb ram, and a 30gb ssd upgraded from the 4gb one that came with it.

it's nice for surfing and doing dumb stuff on the couch. i might boot up my desktop once a week maybe, i don't touch computers much outside of work between my netbook and smart phone.

cptcorn

adad
Until it gets real apps, its pure geek-o-rama. Why waste your time?

di der du der da derrrrrr

Because some people can see further into the future than tomorrow...

It's fast as hell, doesnt run bullshit, does what it needs to do has everything you need in a netbook... If you need to do more than check email, surf the net, write a paper, edit a spread sheet, or many other day to day tasks, then its not for you, but for 98% of the world population, it works perfectly!

round man

ProWrap,...got 2gb in my eepc1000h w/ a 160 gb hd I bought it to video conference with my son in the Air force when he was in europe.
Took it to a sale meeting and found it is a hit with the clients as it's paid for itself three times over henceforth,.I run an older version of corel on it with the chip in its most powerful mode,..love the way you can overclock the cpu from the taskbar,.....

ProWraps

It's fast as hell, doesnt run bullshit, does what it needs to do has everything you need in a netbook... If you need to do more than check email, surf the net, write a paper, edit a spread sheet, or many other day to day tasks, then its not for you, but for 98% of the world population, it works perfectly!

at least someone had the balls to say what i was thinking. thank you.

omgsideburns

ProWrap,...got 2gb in my eepc1000h w/ a 160 gb hd I bought it to video conference with my son in the Air force when he was in europe.
Took it to a sale meeting and found it is a hit with the clients as it's paid for itself three times over henceforth,.I run an older version of corel on it with the chip in its most powerful mode,..love the way you can overclock the cpu from the taskbar,.....

That's the setup I bought my father for christmas last year, he uses it to talk to my sister in Chicago, use the internet, etc.. He's even made a few short videos and put them on YouTube. It's been great for him, especially for the price.

Rodi

And it works with you?

I am a computer fan, but I have come to a point where the power is enough for most every user, why should I invest in something that is a maybe when we all know that you can have the sure thing? Look at the price of the Iphones… when they first came out they were expensive you could have said the same thing to me then, but it is not like looking a time and technology that Mores law is still in effect.

You probably said the same kind of thing to others about
WebTV.

gnatt66

i just gotta say i love this little POS hp/compaq mini 110 i picked up today. intel atom/1 gig/250gig hard drive with windows 7 for 229 :) sure beats the 10 lb 17 inch lappy i use at home 95 percent of the time....freeeeedom!!

FrankenSigns.biz

Sun Microsystems developed and attempted to promote this same technology as I recall about 10 years ago. It didn't catch on—I'm not sure why.

Cloud computing has getting some bad press as of late, and deservedly so. I think it will be the standard of technology in the future as server farms proliferate and become redundant and therefore more stable. Someday we'll say—"Remember HARD DRIVES?" haahaa!

Last edited: