• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

circumference distortion formula

scott pagan

i have a customer needing to letter a watertower and it has a 3 lines of bold text. i am worrying that cut/application should be distorted so that the top and bottom lines of text will lay visually correct when the job is completed.

my thinking is the top and bottom should arc away from center so it will lay properly, but don't know how i should 'do the math'.

does anyone have any good tips for how to compensate for circumference when designing for a round object? think of a huge ball/helmet/etc.

thanks

John Butto

Cut a piece of paper 3"x8.5" with a pencil, print the letters on it, now roll the paper as the water tower. Do you see a distortion.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
There are companies that specialize in water tower lettering. Four years ago, I worked on a project with a third party that does this very thing. Let me see if I can track down their info.

BTW...the exact term you're looking for is "spherical radius".

This isn't the one we worked with, but perhaps they can help: http://www.mkpaintinginc.com/projects.htm

JB

Last edited:

J Hill Designs

you are going to have to use something like this, and distort your graphics until they are straight with the longitude (or latitude..whatever, the vertical ones) lines

Attachments

• flat_globe_map.jpg
    flat_globe_map.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 86

MikePro

they must have engineered drawings of this tower that you can use?
no simple formula will really help, as the tower is most likely not a perfect sphere.