• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJ 500 and FJ42 will they print the same

sfr table hockey

My question is on the CJ 500 and the FJ 42. Should they print the same quality and color if you print with the same settings and inks on both? If so I will take the Roland inks out of the CJ and put into the FJ and try.

What I am trying out now is the Lyson cave paint pigment inks on the FJ 42 and when using color correction the color is way more red/orange compared to the same image printed on the CJ 500. If you print without the color correction on, the color is much closer but not quite as good as it is on the CJ. Do I just need to fool with the profiles?

When a fill test pattern is done ( a solid band of each of the six colors ) the two inks look identical in color. Could the thickness of the inks be different enough to cause a major change in the same picture being printed at the same resolution and settings?

Thanks

sfr table hockey

Are you tring to get both printers to print the same? If so give up, they will never print identical.

How do you mean that they won't print the same? They both were said to be able to do Giclee printing and of course both have the same printheads and run the same six color system. Would you say the CJ 500 is better at printing Giclee or is it that they both will do a good job or comparable job on Giclee's but you have to find different settings to fit the individual printer.

Is there a reason the FJ 42 will not print as good as the CJ 500 or is it just re-adjusting the photos and getting them to work on that unit.

Thanks for the input thus far.

slimlin

Hey

I agree with the cowboy :), Give up, but in theory they should be able to print the same, since basicly, they are the same machines, same specs, printheads, etc. but to match them, will be more than a match for you :)

I like the smile of the cowboy, no crisis there :)

Have a nice day

Jakob

ddarlak

Go Bills!
if you tried to print a sign in two panels one on one machine and one on the other, they will never match. but one image, printed on both machines will be close to perfect match...

make sense?

sfr table hockey

if you tried to print a sign in two panels one on one machine and one on the other, they will never match. but one image, printed on both machines will be close to perfect match...

make sense?

I am not quite sure what you are getting at. The one image printed on both machines ( I am not clear on ).

What I am trying to do is print the same Giclee print that I printed on the CJ 500 but now get the same looking Giclee on the FJ 42. So far what I have done was tried the same profiles on the FJ 42 as I used on the CJ 500. This did not even come close. I need to take the color corection off on the FJ 42 and then boost the Magenta and then the prints look close. I am finding the amount of ink the FJ 42 lays down seems to be more than the CJ did. A double pass on the FJ is too much ink and too dark compared to the CJ.

When you talk about the one image printed on both machines, do you mean that the CJ and the FJ are able to get the same results for quality of Giclee prints, but you might have to do different things to get them there.

Might it be the cave paint inks that are making the big change in color or is it going to happen even if I used the same Roland inks in the FJ, due to the change in printers and how they print from colorchoice.

Vinylman

What the heck are you using a Roland printer to attempt to print Giclee prints for?

If you are trying to print for the "artzy smartzy" photographer group, or trying to replicate fine artwork pieces then get the right equipment. You need to find a good used Epson printer 7600/9600 perhaps. They have TWO black inks in their arsenal of inks the help create the subtle gradiants and tonal shifts that the art community is requesting.

What you are attempting is like using a touch up brush to do pin striping. It can be done, but at what cost for time and trial and error?

Also the fact that you are asking the Roland to replicate equal print quality from a standard ICC profile while using after market inks is hopeless.
The Roland profiles are set for their inks, and will therefore result in less than perfect results. The "cave ink" you are using, have much higher concentration of solids in their inks than the original Roland inks. Therefore your profiles will be all over the place, and probably never give you precious results.

sfr table hockey

Thank you. This is some of the info I was looking for.

I guess the other question I still want to know is if I were to use the Roland inks ( same as I used in the CJ (pigmented aqueous)) on the FJ am I still going to get different results due to the fact that the 2 printers will print the same profiles differently?

Now as far as the Giclee prints go, the CJ 500 with Aqueous pigmented inks prints some incredible stuff. Customers have compared them to what they have had done by other places and they are bang on and even some said better. So I would have to say that at least the CJ 500 is a very good Giclee printer. Now can the FJ be just as good.

Already with playing with the color % adjustments on the FJ the pictures are getting much closer to the same as I was getting with the CJ.

My goal is to get the FJ to print Giclee's as good as they were on the CJ and then finish the conversion on the CJ over to solvent and be able to do both areas of printing.

Thanks again and any more input is welcome.

sfr table hockey

Got cave paint inks to print on the FJ like on the CJ

Well here it is..... I was able to get the new Cave Paint pigmented inks to work in the FJ 42, and look like the same results as I had with the CJ 500 and Rolands FPG pigmented inks. I might not have been able to do this if it was not for Slimlin sending me a couple of input profiles. With those and adjusting the density values on the magenta's and a bit other adjusting in the color side, the prints look very very close. By using the same setting I was able to print 3 different photo files and all came out very close to what they did on the CJ. It just took a day and half a roll of paper (at least seemed that much) to get things right. By being able to use the new inks the savings on a set of cart's will be over $600.00 cnd and more if I go bulk.

For anyone out there with the older aqueous printers this might be something to look at.