• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJ-500 converted to eco solvent

sfr table hockey

Greetings all,
While looking into the best way to convert my CJ-500 I happened upon a post where a gentleman from the UK stated he had heard that once converted to solvent inks the ability for the CJ-500 plotter to read registration marks disappeared. As I will be laminating and then cutting some of the work this was a huge minus, if true. :omg: I'll still do the conversion regardless.

Thanks,
Randy

That is not true as mine still reads the marks. The odd time you may get one that just won't read but I tried going over the mark then with a black marker and that worked. I Did not need to fill the mark exact to the outer edge but just fill the inner area and it seemed to help the eye pick up the mark. Have no idea why it would not read it as it looked no different than the others that it was reading just fine. Tried several times and then used the marker and it read the first try after that.

One thing that does possibly effect the auto crop mark sensing is when you flip one of the switches on the main board so that the printer changes to read as an SC 500 instead of a CJ 500. I have heard first hand that it messed the auto crop mark detecting and you needed to do it manually with the arrow keys.

Tone-Mark Creative

Old-School Sign Man living in the present
Why sc 500

Thanks for reply. But why would one change to an sc 500 on switches? Is this required to move to eco?
I'm totally green about all this just having acquired my cj-500.
That is not true as mine still reads the marks. The odd time you may get one that just won't read but I tried going over the mark then with a black marker and that worked. I Did not need to fill the mark exact to the outer edge but just fill the inner area and it seemed to help the eye pick up the mark. Have no idea why it would not read it as it looked no different than the others that it was reading just fine. Tried several times and then used the marker and it read the first try after that.

One thing that does possibly effect the auto crop mark sensing is when you flip one of the switches on the main board so that the printer changes to read as an SC 500 instead of a CJ 500. I have heard first hand that it messed the auto crop mark detecting and you needed to do it manually with the arrow keys.

Tone-Mark Creative

Old-School Sign Man living in the present
You could sell that setup if you provided instructions and heater elements. Printer convesions wants $1300 for conversion box and tel support. I'd love to have it integrated without that big ol' box on top. Not all of us have the savvy to do this mod. Additional details would be great. I'm ready to take the plunge but want it to be the right one.

I also converted my Cj-500 about a year ago or so.. I installed the controllers right into the front panel of the unit. For the heater I used adhesive backed silicone rubber heaters with the K type thermocouple, I have the heat set for the rear at 110f. and 98f. for the front.

BlissSigns

Source for Heaters?

I also converted my Cj-500 about a year ago or so.. I installed the controllers right into the front panel of the unit. For the heater I used adhesive backed silicone rubber heaters with the K type thermocouple, I have the heat set for the rear at 110f. and 98f. for the front.

I am looking at converting a CJ-540. I am curious where you picked up your heaters and controls? Was it local or an internet source?