• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cjv 130 eco-solvent versus solvent ink

k_graham

I see the spec's include both ink capabilities but mention you can immediately cut with the solvent ink. This leads to the question of how long do you wait for eco solvent ink?

What's your preference?

If Solvent ink did you buy the venting kit from Mimaki?

I see Solvent inks do not include Silver, so may I assume you only run those in double CMYK or do you use a ecosolvent silver with solvent set?

It seems like HP Latex printers can be off days or weeks without issue, what do you do for a long weekend? Or if no printing for a week?

Thanks,

Ken

rjssigns

Even with our Roland EcoSol MAX inks we try to avoid cutting full bleed decals on 4mil right away. They will shrink, sometimes a lot. Different medias will net different results. Oracals 651 works pretty good in this respect.

Our SP540 is old and we've left for a weeks vacation. It has to stay plugged in 24/7 so it can do its cleaning cycles. This also means your captops have to seal perfectly with no leaks. We've never had issues doing this.

Preference? I would never go solvent because of the VOC's. Full solvent dictates an expensive air scrubber or powered venting with make up air. Full solvent machines need to run hard everyday without fail or you risk the chance of clogging a head. Solvents super fast drying is also the cause of most of their problems.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Solvent or eco-solvent - it would not be advisable to cut anything right away, especially full bleeds. The vinyl will be way too soft. Either on you really should wait a day before cutting directly into printed areas.

As far as maintenance the CJV is essentially the same as our JV33 but with a built in cutter. We have always run full solvent (aftermarket Triangle JVV inks) with no problems at all and it can sit unused for a week with no real problems other than maybe needing a 30 minute nozzle soak if that long between printing. Only have let it set than long once though, we completely closed down for 10 days for a vacation a couple of years ago. The printer was just fine. Of course we always leave it plugged in and turned on as well so it does it's routine cleaning regardless.

Letting it sit over a weekend or even 3 days. No worries at all, do not even need to run a nozzle check or anything. For the most part our JV33 does run a lot though which helps keep these machines in top condition. We very often have it run unattended overnight as well. Barring something like the one vacation we closed down for, if you are not going to be printing for an entire week on any sort of regular basis, you probably should be outsourcing instead of trying to keep a wide format solvent printer running right. Solvent printers need to be run, often, or they will start to have issues.