• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help CJV 150 please help me with this stupid disaster

Lady Who

I've pulled about 20 ml of ink from cyan cartridge and injected to complete the other cyan, with same expiry date. Then as I keep on printing, cyan ink was gradually disappearing and then, I did a test print and boom, no cyan visible! Tried the fill up ink option, but it popped error, low ink level as cyan is 9%. SS21 original mimaki ink.

Do you think I've destroyed the printhead or a new cartridge is enough to solve it? I injected the ink slowly, I'm pretty sure the was no air bubble in the syringe...

P.S: there was already 1 magenta and 1 cyan line missing, but after injecting ink in cartridge, the last cyan disappeared.

Gonna visually inspect for air in the lines, be right back :(

Attachments

• 20200520_201916.jpg
    20200520_201916.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 254

Lady Who

Yes, seems air in the cyan line ... you think my printhead will damage if I wait about 20 hours to get a new cartridge and fill up ink? Is fill up enough to remove air in the line or it's not that simple?

Attachments

• air-cyan.jpg
    air-cyan.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 251

jimmmi

Put a syringe to the appropriate damper and pull until all the air pass the line and damper and finally remove it from the ink tube

Lady Who

How he finally solved it?
For knowledge purposes

He did exactly what you said: disconnected the damper and pulled the ink with a syringe, tapping the damper side until all air was gone. Lost about 10 ml of ink plus some ink in the fill up afterwards. I didn't want to try it myself, beucase I messed up enough things already. But I still wonder if there's a safe way of refilling those cartridges safely... If anyone knows, please tell us.

jimmmi

He did exactly what you said: disconnected the damper and pulled the ink with a syringe, tapping the damper side until all air was gone. Lost about 10 ml of ink plus some ink in the fill up afterwards. I didn't want to try it myself, beucase I messed up enough things already. But I still wonder if there's a safe way of refilling those cartridges safely... If anyone knows, please tell us.
Refilling the OEM cartridges?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Sounds a lot like you’d save more money just buying ink cartridges and using them normally than the headache that comes from trying to save $3 worth of ink

Lady Who

Sounds a lot like you’d save more money just buying ink cartridges and using them normally than the headache that comes from trying to save $3 worth of ink
Yeah, you're right, maybe only because I did it the wrong way. But unless I know exactly how to do it properly, yes, it's stupid idea :(

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Have you looked into third party inks? Pretty much everyone sells it and we’ve ran third party inks for about five years with no problems. About 1/3 of the price too.

My guess is that the inks are filled slightly over 440ml so you can use the advertised amount safely and not get air in the lines. It’s not surplus it’s just necessary.

Lady Who

Have you looked into third party inks? Pretty much everyone sells it and we’ve ran third party inks for about five years with no problems. About 1/3 of the price too.

My guess is that the inks are filled slightly over 440ml so you can use the advertised amount safely and not get air in the lines. It’s not surplus it’s just necessary.

Yes, you guessed right, still, I'd like to use every drop of ink :D Not only to save money, but also to generate less waste.
I never thought about using third party inks before, but actually I'll start considering this possibility, since using one of the most expensive Mimaki inks, I have my printhead missing 2 entire lines after only 2 years of having this machine, bought brand new, so, I'm not sure it's really worth it using OEM inks

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
It really depends on how much you were running the machine but when we figured in the costs, we could have bought a new print head every 4-6 weeks with the money we were saving on OEM vs third party inks.

We’re still on the same head since the switch but it saved a LOT of money. Enough money that I didn’t even feel the need to save 20ml of ink per cartridge!

Lady Who

It really depends on how much you were running the machine but when we figured in the costs, we could have bought a new print head every 4-6 weeks with the money we were saving on OEM vs third party inks.

We’re still on the same head since the switch but it saved a LOT of money. Enough money that I didn’t even feel the need to save 20ml of ink per cartridge!
Wow, that's good. And what ink do you use iPrintStuff , so I can learn more about it?

Last edited: