• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV30 100, single pass

Chris.ardmel

Hello there!

I'd like to take the time to introduce myself before I present this wall of text! I'm Chris from the United Kingdom and would be greatly appreciative if someone could help me with the following.

Since I'm a novice to the printing scene, please excuse me if I wrongly term something!

We have CJV30 100 (8 ink channels) setup at our work place and have it printing away with no problems. However, as we are printing onto a polyurethane material (around 80 microns), the amount of ink placed onto it is something we'd like to control.

Printing on pass 2 causes the material to curl at the sides if it's a heavily coloured image we are printing, while this isn't a problem for simple patterns(I.e. white squares with a black outline), the more complex ones are too heavily layered to for the material to support it, hence the curling of the media.

I have noticed that when a printing job has started, the first pass is crystal clear and no curling occurs, however after this first pass the rest of the job is printed really heavily and begins to blur.

We are currently using RasterlInk 5 sg and, as far as I'm aware, we have no profiles which support 1 pass. It's good to note that in my ProfileManager, which came with RasterlInk 5 sg , the CJV30 doesn't have any pass 1 profiles either. The only model that supports pass 1 is the JV33, which from what I understand, is just a CJV30 minus the cutter.

Is it possible to print in pass 1 with the CJV30, if so how could I go about it?

Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,
Chris.

ironchef

Good question. Most of the profiles i use are 6 or 12 pass. What do you need one pass for? Banner? Im a noob too. My guess would be your profiles.

ironchef

I haven't used other rip programs. So i cant compare. But rasterlink is putting out some sweet colors. I saved the link though. Thanks. Ill play around with it when i got more free time.

Chris.ardmel

Hello again,

Thanks for the replies.

I've checked the links and looked through the videos, some really valuable information within them. Thanks for passing them on.

I've played around with the settings and found a noticeable difference in the outputs, still.. even when changing the ink density to the lowest option the material still curls.

Having a hunch about the pass1 idea I tweaked around with a few things. Changing the media compensation allowed me to make the first passing of ink area larger too see if the difference was subtanstial (I think the picture confirms that). I've provided an image to show what I mean. The image below is printed on 2pass, uni-directional.

Print image.jpg

What I'd like to do is have the initial pass used for the rest of the print job (no doubling up ink layers), that's where the idea of the 1pass profile came in.

I may be getting this completely wrong or understanding it incorrectly, so any corrections would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris

kffernandez

first of all, are you sure your material was designed for solvent printing? nonetheless, if you really wanted to make it work, you have to either get the profile for your material, or make one.

profiling, among other things, will set the maximum amount of ink you media can handle, as well as provide you with clues about heat settings, carriage speed, and no. of passes that could work for your print requirements.

like what neil says, laying down all the ink in 1 pass would just make things worse.

kelly