• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV30/160 printhead change issues

Interjavi

After two and a half years of work with this Mimaki CJV30-160, I've decide to change the printhead, an Epson DX5 solvent, and I changed dampers and ribbon cables too.

Perform an ink charge and a SLANT ADJUST and I get a perfect, clean and accurate test print. Perfect 'till here :cool:

I performed afterwards the INK.DROP.POS in all DRAFT, FINE, DRAFT2 and FINE2 levels and everything seems to be OK, BUT!!!, NO!!!!, after printing a normal work with pictures and text on it, I found bidirectional missalignmet, as no adjustmet were made at all, and overspray on almost every kind of quality print mode.

The "stinky" maintenance manual, (as I read here before) don't help me at all. It seems like the changes in the adjusts values are not saved, and for the overspray it looks like HEAD ID is not properly read, confirmed by looking to this values in the control panel and finding the old head values on it, values that can not be changed by the pannel.

Could anyone help me?. I've spend so many money in the spare parts with so poor results that I feel very blue :frustrated:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When you do the alignments in service mode, you are essentially setting base points for the real alignment. You have to do the user alignments to get everything in to shape. You can find the Drop Pos alignment in user mode by going here: Function>Setup>Select Type>(scroll down a few to find Drop Pos Correct. It will look exactly like the service mode one but you will see the difference.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Overspray on a new head is almost always a bad head cable or improperly installed cable. Check to make sure there is no ink on the leads of the cable and that it is installed perfectly flat with no bends or buckling. Other than that it could be many other electrical issues ranging from a board or cable to a defective head. By the way you described it, you probably have a non-oem head which sometimes can cause unexpected issues.

Interjavi

Thanks VanderJ, The cables are new too, and they have to be bended to install them, but I'll look them again.

An extrange thing that I've noticed is that the new Head ID number is not shown when you enter in the HEAD ID menu and the number that appears is the old one.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That means it is not an OEM Mimaki head but rather just some generic DX5 head. I have a generic head in mine and the head rank number would not take either. Hard telling for certain what is causing the overspray. Have you powered the machine totally down since first booting it after installing the head and going into the service menus? Sometimes that is required for some of the new values to take affect.

Interjavi

Totally down after the rebooting I guess not. And I don't know for sure if the head is OEM or not. The independent supplier does not indicate it, only says that this is the head for this machine.

Another thing is that the little Head Memory PCB, located in front of the head case, does not come alltogether with the new one and has to be take from the old head. Is this normal?.