• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question CJV30 CMYK only?

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
Right now my CJV30 is printing CMYKlclm but I thought I saw somewhere you can change it to print CMYK only. Is this right?

If so, is this done in the RIP or on the printer?

Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I am going to give you a very watered down rundown of what it takes to change over because the details are fairly wordy.

1. Run the head wash function in service mode which empties the machine of ink, cleans it out with cleaning solution, and then empties the solution out.

2. Reconfigure the ink lines behind the ink cartridges to the 4 color configuration. Requires some ink line, o-rings, and brass nuts.

3. Change the ink type parameters to tell the machine it is 4 color now.

4. Turn the machine on and let it run it's fill up sequence.

5. Re-install the machine in Rasterlink as a 4 color machine and download the 4 color profiles.

It takes a fair amount of time to do this so you want to do it while you are not busy. You also run the risk of the head not coming back 100%. You can lower that risk by starting the 4 color fill up with brand new dampers. Overall it's not a huge risk but it does happen once in a while. Mostly with people switching from white to color.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
I am going to give you a very watered down rundown of what it takes to change over because the details are fairly wordy.

1. Run the head wash function in service mode which empties the machine of ink, cleans it out with cleaning solution, and then empties the solution out.

2. Reconfigure the ink lines behind the ink cartridges to the 4 color configuration. Requires some ink line, o-rings, and brass nuts.

3. Change the ink type parameters to tell the machine it is 4 color now.

4. Turn the machine on and let it run it's fill up sequence.

5. Re-install the machine in Rasterlink as a 4 color machine and download the 4 color profiles.

It takes a fair amount of time to do this so you want to do it while you are not busy. You also run the risk of the head not coming back 100%. You can lower that risk by starting the 4 color fill up with brand new dampers. Overall it's not a huge risk but it does happen once in a while. Mostly with people switching from white to color.

That sounds like more of a PITA than Im willing to take on. We haven't ran this machine since I started here a couple months ago because the yellow damper had been out for a while. We were slow this last week so thought I would get it back up and running. After changing the damper had to finally flush cleaning fluid through the head to get the yellow to come back. Thought I'd do the same method to the light cyan since a third of its nozzles were out and nothing would bring them back. Now it won't print light cyan at all. Afraid I may have killed it. :( But the HP handles most of our work and the 2 Mimaki's are just there as back ups incase we get slammed. So I think I'll take a pass on this one.

signman315

Signmaker
That sounds like more of a PITA than Im willing to take on. We haven't ran this machine since I started here a couple months ago because the yellow damper had been out for a while. We were slow this last week so thought I would get it back up and running. After changing the damper had to finally flush cleaning fluid through the head to get the yellow to come back. Thought I'd do the same method to the light cyan since a third of its nozzles were out and nothing would bring them back. Now it won't print light cyan at all. Afraid I may have killed it. :( But the HP handles most of our work and the 2 Mimaki's are just there as back ups incase we get slammed. So I think I'll take a pass on this one.
This may be off base....by my HP FB550 and ONYX give you the choice to run it CMYK or CMYKLcLm via a media/profile selection. I've used Rasterlink but it was a few years back...do they offer an option to run just CMYK without fully converting the machine over like VanderJ suggested? You might have to download a profile for it. That may be a way to bleed the last life out of the printer before moving on...

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
This may be off base....by my HP FB550 and ONYX give you the choice to run it CMYK or CMYKLcLm via a media/profile selection. I've used Rasterlink but it was a few years back...do they offer an option to run just CMYK without fully converting the machine over like VanderJ suggested? You might have to download a profile for it. That may be a way to bleed the last life out of the printer before moving on...

Thats what I was hoping for but I've gone through all the option screens in Rasterlink and can't find anything that would suggest that option.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Good question. It is actually technically possible but you would have to make your own profile. The problem is that the 4 color setup and the 6 color setup place the colors in different channels of the print head. This makes it so that when you use a 4 color profile on a 6 color printer, it mixes up the color order and the prints come out looking weird.

signman315

Signmaker
Good question. It is actually technically possible but you would have to make your own profile. The problem is that the 4 color setup and the 6 color setup place the colors in different channels of the print head. This makes it so that when you use a 4 color profile on a 6 color printer, it mixes up the color order and the prints come out looking weird.
Gotcha, wasn't sure how Rasterlink worked in regards to the channels...you the man Vander! :)