• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV30 switching paint

rightnow

Hello,

I have a CJV30 with ES3 ink CCMMYYKK.

I have three questions.

1. Is it has hard as with every else printer to change to SS21 and print with white? I wont print white that often. So i don't want alot of trubble. Is it worth it?

2. Does the SS21 ink perform better than ES3? I've heard somewhere that the SS21 ink is superior to ES3 (except for smell). Do I gain anything from switching?

3. Anyone know how you change from ES3 to SS21? Do i need new hardware in the machine?

Best regards,

Chris from Sweden

artbot

i print white about once a month. so i put an auxiliary cartridge on the outside of my printer and run it to my black channel. the whole routine takes about 10 minutes to switch to white and 10 minutes back to black. considering the hours and hours of time saved by printing in dual cmyk, the switch back and forth from black to white is nothing.

rightnow

That sounds like a great idea!

I'd love to get some more tips on this.

So you run CCMMYYKK in SS21 normally? And you change out one of the K's with an auxilery white outside the machine? Where do I get one of those? What else is neccesary?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It's not something you can buy off the shelf to set it up like artbot did. He custom made the auxiliary cartridge setup with the valves etc needed to manually introduce white alone with a way to flush it back out when not being used. Also - his machine is a JV3 which uses 4 individual DX4 heads. Your machine uses a single 8 channel DX5 head.

By making your own custom setup like his, you can simply manually flush the black out, then from below the head draw the white in till it's fully primed.

There is no "easy" way to just have white once in a while when you want it. If you are only wanting it once in a long while I'd suggest that it's not worth trying. To change from dual CMYK to white using the machines menus will waste a LOT of ink every time you try to change it since the standard white setup is CMYKLcLmWW. So you would essentially need to convert the machine to 6 color + white to use white, then convert it back to 4 color. It is essentially one or the other and not something you really want to switch back and forth between as you would probably burn through $100 or more ink wasted ink every time you change it over.

To create a custom fabricated setup like artbots goes way beyond the scope of a simple explanation on here.

Aside from that, yes SS21 ink is more durable than ES3 but it does have a very strong odor. Ventilation will be important to get the fumes out. Another plus on SS21 is there are a LOT more canned profiles available for SS21 inks.

rightnow

Thanks for the answer! I understand that this is nothing simple.

The new room i have is very good ventilated. Is the fumes toxic aswell, or just smells bad?

It is possible to run SS21 in CCYYMMKK right?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The fumes contain VOC's which can be harmful. Yes - SS21 runs great as CCYYMMKK.

artbot

here's some photos of the white cartridge set up. i also included some carriage shots. don't mind all the customizations to the carriage. just giving you a detail of my kit.

your printer would need one white ink cart and then split the line to the two channels (K) a the dx5 dampers. the whole set up could be accomplished in a few hours.

one advantage to this set up is you can shake the white cart' until you see all the settled white pigment become suspended. this cart sometimes sit on this shelf for two months. then i shake it up and print white ink for 10 hours on petg, wood veneer, aluminum.... then take the whole thing down.

even if you did convert your printer to CMYKlclmWW, having white ink sitting in your printer is a bad idea. it settles in the lines, the cleaning cycles in the firmware are much more frequent. it's a disaster. don't do it. if you want white ink, this is the far better solution.

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 100
  • white 3 point.jpg
    white 3 point.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 95
  • carriage front.jpg
    carriage front.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 102
  • channel close up.jpg
    channel close up.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 104

rightnow

Thanks dude! I understand the installation pretty well.

Just one thing that isnt that clear to me. There is no way to tell the machine that we have modified it to CCMMYYKW, right? So my guess is that you have it in CCMMYYKK mode. Switch out one black channel for the aux-white. And Print black, but it turns out white on the material. Right?

Which means you cannot mix black and white printing?
This is no trouble for me, since when im printing white. I want white only.

artbot

correct. just prepare a grayscale file, set your rip to grayscale to isolate the black channel (each rip does this a little differently) and you are printing white.

MagentaSigns

would love to hear how this goes "rightnow" I own the cjv30 and would love to have white in as well but like most of us we dont use it all the time.