• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV300 or CJV150?

Commando

I have a JV33. I love this thing. Have had it since 2013 and the head is just now going out. Instead of replacing it, boss said i could get a new one. I want white ink, so i am looking at the cjv300 and cjv150.
Any opinions on this head scratcher?
I also have a couple question about the 300.
-If one head was to goes out, can i still use the other? Can I turn one off i want? Will it affect quality?
-Do i want light black or silver? If so, why?

I have asked my dealer a bunch of questions, but i felt these were reserved for actual users. TIA

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Solvent based white has never lived up to the hype. The UV printers do much much better when it comes to opaqueness. Also, I never recommend white or silver to any of my customers and the few who have insisted came back to me within a year to change to CMYKx2. That's not to say no one has been successful with it but it's far and few between. Most of the time you realize you don't use it as much as it costs in extra maintenance to keep it running. Basically, most white and silver ink ends up in the waste tank and your head will clog faster if you don't keep up maintenance on it perfectly.

Light black is good for monochrome prints but a correctly profiled CMYK printer will get you similar if not exact results. I've never been a fan of the added colors to be honest because the result doesn't justify the speed loss. That being said, there are plenty of people who would disagree with me on that!

Commando

Solvent based white has never lived up to the hype. The UV printers do much much better when it comes to opaqueness. Also, I never recommend white or silver to any of my customers and the few who have insisted came back to me within a year to change to CMYKx2. That's not to say no one has been successful with it but it's far and few between. Most of the time you realize you don't use it as much as it costs in extra maintenance to keep it running. Basically, most white and silver ink ends up in the waste tank and your head will clog faster if you don't keep up maintenance on it perfectly.

Light black is good for monochrome prints but a correctly profiled CMYK printer will get you similar if not exact results. I've never been a fan of the added colors to be honest because the result doesn't justify the speed loss. That being said, there are plenty of people who would disagree with me on that!
I wont be using white very much. I do get asked about clear vinyl images that have white on them and i hate saying no!
Just those few a month would be worth it, imo.
Why does white cause more maintenance?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I wont be using white very much. I do get asked about clear vinyl images that have white on them and i hate saying no!
Just those few a month would be worth it, imo.
Why does white cause more maintenance?

White and silver both coagulate and separate much quicker than the color inks. The printer has a circulation system that moves the ink once in a while to prevent it from happening but it still has issues. Basically if you slack on cleaning the cap tops and don't change maintenance parts out on schedule, the white and silver will be the first to give you trouble.

JetPress

When we had a CJV30 we tried it out with light cyan and light magenta and didn't notice any significance in quality and within a year we switch it to dual CMYK.

yannb

I have a JV33. I love this thing. Have had it since 2013 and the head is just now going out. Instead of replacing it, boss said i could get a new one. I want white ink, so i am looking at the cjv300 and cjv150.
Any opinions on this head scratcher?
I also have a couple question about the 300.
-If one head was to goes out, can i still use the other? Can I turn one off i want? Will it affect quality?
-Do i want light black or silver? If so, why?

I have asked my dealer a bunch of questions, but i felt these were reserved for actual users. TIA

if you have a JV33, then you probably already have a separate cutter like Mimaki’s own CG-FX II. The cutter functionality of the CJV series is okay if you print and cut without laminating, but it’s slower than the CG-FX II.
Regarding color and white: to me the addition of orange makes a big difference. The opacity of the white might be okay for you, in other words ask for test print.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
+1 for getting a separate printer/cutter unless you really don’t have the space. Our old CJV30 ran literally tens of thousands of 38” sheets, they got lammed then put back in to cut.

While it was cutting we couldn’t be printing and vice versa. Separate cutter literally doubled our productivity. (Though more like 100 fold as we went from a CJV30 to a Colorado and summa s2 T series and an XY cutter) but you get the point!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I can’t be completely certain but I’m pretty sure I read the orange inks aren’t great with UV exposure. Probably best for internal work. You can obviously create profiles omitting that individual ink but my guess is the extra gamut isn’t worth the effort