• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

clamshell heat press

WildWestDesigns

I'm more of a fan of the swing a ways along with a shuttle, however, they do require more of a "foot print" the the clamshell.

royster13

I have owned presses for 35+ plus years.......All 3 I own now are "clam shells"......I have bought and sold a few swing away presses and could hardly wait to get rind of them.....It is a personal thing and you will not really know which ones you will like until you use them for a while....

As far as that press, you get what you pay for.....But common sense should tell you it will not be as good or last as long as presses costing thousands of $s.....My favourite press is a Geo Knight DK20 16 x 20.....

IGD

I have owned presses for 35+ plus years.......All 3 I own now are "clam shells"......I have bought and sold a few swing away presses and could hardly wait to get rind of them.....It is a personal thing and you will not really know which ones you will like until you use them for a while....

As far as that press, you get what you pay for.....But common sense should tell you it will not be as good or last as long as presses costing thousands of $s.....My favourite press is a Geo Knight DK20 16 x 20.....
what do those usually go for?

IGD

A DK 20 with auto release and shuttle is just under 2,000.00....
see I can't see spending that kinda money on a press, for one Ive never even used one and would be testing, and I was hoping that I could get enough profit out of it before it pooped and then upgrade If I wanna keep doing it.

WildWestDesigns

see I can't see spending that kinda money on a press, for one Ive never even used one and would be testing, and I was hoping that I could get enough profit out of it before it pooped and then upgrade If I wanna keep doing it.

It really just depends on what your ultimate use is. I use my heat presses even in embroidery production (patches to do the iron on adhesive backing). Heat presses are a really versatile tool, I think anyway.

You do get what you pay for. May not have to go automatic release and all that, but I would go for a better name one. Your off brands have more potential to have heating "issues" then your name brand ones. Anything from uneven heat across the platen or not actually getting up to temp and staying there within a 2-5°F difference.

IGD

It really just depends on what your ultimate use is. I use my heat presses even in embroidery production (patches to do the iron on adhesive backing). Heat presses are a really versatile tool, I think anyway.

You do get what you pay for. May not have to go automatic release and all that, but I would go for a better name one. Your off brands have more potential to have heating "issues" then your name brand ones. Anything from uneven heat across the platen or not actually getting up to temp and staying there within a 2-5°F difference.
So is this a bad idea all together with this brand? what some good brand ones that I could stay under 400, or are there any?

WildWestDesigns

So is this a bad idea all together with this brand? what some good brand ones that I could stay under 400, or are there any?

You could get lucky, I just don't know. If you are only doing very low production runs, it might be worth it for you. I use mine all the time, so it's not worth trying to get lucky with a cheap one.

If you are just wanting to test everything, it might be worth it. Only bad thing is that if it does have heating element issues, that could be a damper on something that you might have otherwise done.

I know I don't have luck getting refurbished or trying to just make do, so I'm always leary of suggesting it, but it might indeed work out for you.

WildWestDesigns

This was my first heat press http://www.signwarehouse.com/SE-K-p-SE-JP12.html
I only sold it because i got the bigger mighty press from a friend for free.

But it did suck sometimes having such a small platen

I actually have one very similar to that one and it still does work although, it doesn't do much of anything any more.

Size will be what kills you on that though, especially if you have to ever deal with the plus sizes. Which mine had to deal with on occasion.

IGD

You could get lucky, I just don't know. If you are only doing very low production runs, it might be worth it for you. I use mine all the time, so it's not worth trying to get lucky with a cheap one.

If you are just wanting to test everything, it might be worth it. Only bad thing is that if it does have heating element issues, that could be a damper on something that you might have otherwise done.

I know I don't have luck getting refurbished or trying to just make do, so I'm always leary of suggesting it, but it might indeed work out for you.
I think Im gonna give uscutter a call tmrw and ask them, they usually seem to give me honest answers and arent just trying to sell the product and tell me what I want to hear, Ive had nothing but great service from them. Ill see what they say and let yall know tmrw