• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help clarity trouble

Outlawsignz

Hey guys,
I cannot find a similar thread here (or I'm calling it a wrong name when searching) But hopefully will get some feedback here or pointed in the right direction. I have an older Mimaki JV33 130 that I am having clarity in print issues with. Installed a new Print head recently and switched to ES3 inks, and ever since my text clarity in small labels or decals has been poor. Still readable, but nowhere near what it was. I have adjusted the profiles and ICC's to suit what I'm doing/using with no discernible results to the better and have gone back to 'before' settings with no luck either. I have played with the heat (currently 35,35,50 for my vinyl) the head height, done numerous washes and cleaning, done all the media comps and dot aligns and the test pattern is clear and perfect - no deflecting or misses. Been doing this for about 6 years now and am self taught so am hoping someone has some ideas here. I know there is a ton of things it could be, but really don't know where else to tweak.. Large format photos and regular print jobs seem to print fine - just the clarity of small print is about half as good as it used to be. My settings are 540 x 1080, variable dot, SO diffusion (as per current setup) and profile set for current media (Generic vinyl brand from All Graphic Supplies - Vancouver). With a little magnifier, you can see the dot gain is different now than what it was before - much more 'grainy' now than it used to be on full flood colors and the text is, for lack of a better word, fuzzy around the edges. Enough so that from a regular reading point, looks unclear.
Any insight or magic wands are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Allik

If I have problem with small lettering clearness, then usually drop posit. correction does the trick.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
After changing a head you have to run alignments. The two main ones are the head slant and drop position correction. If you didn't, that will make your prints look grainy and unfocused. Unfortunately, in my experience, the ES3 inks are always grainier than the SS21s and they will have much worse scratch resistance and outdoor durability.