• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Claybar before install??

splizaat

Curious if anyone else is doing this with vehicle graphics and especially wraps (mainly solid color).

Does anyone here prep vehicle surfaces before install in any way besides just cleaning the surface with alcohol? We've been thinking about using a clay bar (or alternative) to take any little contaminants out of paint surfaces before putting graphics on (especially big solid color stripes) to try and eliminate any little spots that look like an occasional piece of sand under big black vinyl stripes or any graphics we put on paint...

Anyone?

heyskull

Matt

I thought this either the customers or bodyshops job.
We clean and degrease the vehicle prior to application but in no way would I be undertaking claybaring a vehicle before application!
The customer must be made aware that the vehicle must be presented clean and you will be further degreased before application.
But if their are contaminates in the original finish you are not responsible for repairing/removing them.

SC

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think that might be overkill and cause more problems than it solves.
I wouldn't want to do that unless the paint on the vehicle had started to get dried out and chalky. I would have an added charge if it needed it. In addition to signs & graphics we are an automotive shop that includes detail service so it wouldn't be a an issue for us.

wayne k
guam usa

signage

Are you going to charge them for detailing the vehicle? If you do this hope your insurance covers you.

mnapuran

We only clay bar when necessary, and typically charge for the extra time and process. The last van that was brought in to us we had to clay prior to installation.

J

john1

Never had a issue installing vehicle graphics without clay barring it. To me, That's something a detail shop should handle. Not a sign shop.

johnnysigns

On Paintwraps I tell the client to claybar the car for the best results. I mainly deal with car nerds for the paint wrap stuff so their happy to do it. Most of them wipe the car w/ a diaper twice a week as is.

splizaat

Well i guess it comes down to, do you install the graphics anyways, have them look like crap THEN when the customer picks the vehicle say "you should have clay barred the car beforehand and it'd look better" or do you spend 20 minutes doing it and have the customer pick up perfect looking graphics and drive off happy?

Sometimes I'd rather just spend the extra 20 minutes doing it right and having other shops who see it say "wow that's a nice job" rather than "what a hack job we could have done it much better or nicer"

J

john1

Not sure about your area but people don't normally paint in a sandstorm so i never have any issues. Even if someone just got a vehicle painted, The body shop should wet sand the pits in the paint out before it's delivered. That's what my customers do here anyway.

Not your fault, Just like if your applying lettering and you peel the app tape off and the paint comes off with it. You didn't paint it prior so it's not your problem no matter how much the customer will argue none the less.

splizaat

It's not sand, it's impurities in the paint - it just looks like a grain of sand under the film once it's laid down. Claybarring is a common detail proceedure to remove any impurities before buffing. It's not embedded in the clearcoat, it's sitting on top of the clear coat, but stuck...rail dust, specs of dirt, etc. The clay bar removes it to leave a smooth finish behind.

It's not a paint problem...it's a road debris problem.

mnapuran

It's not sand, it's impurities in the paint - it just looks like a grain of sand under the film once it's laid down. Claybarring is a common detail proceedure to remove any impurities before buffing. It's not embedded in the clearcoat, it's sitting on top of the clear coat, but stuck...rail dust, specs of dirt, etc. The clay bar removes it to leave a smooth finish behind.

It's not a paint problem...it's a road debris problem.

+1

J

john1

Idk really, No issues here on doing full body mustang stripes and all that stuff. I've seen the tar and stuff but it always came off easily.