• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning boards for flatbed printing

WalterB

What is the best cleaning fluid for prepping boards for fladbed printing. Something that will leave no residue. Denatured alcohol? Isopropyl alcohol? Other?
Thank you

TwoNine

99% IPA as mentioned....Nothing else has worked well consistently on multiple materials...

-Chad

EDIT: IPA does seem to leave a little residue that shows after printing on acrylic and Sintra - wipe afterwards in one direction with a dry towel very aggressively. That has, thus far, worked for us....
Good luck!

Last edited:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We use 90% Alch. for most stuff....good cleaning then a buffing. PVC Ive started ordering masked single sided and it seems to cut down on the need to clean the boards a great deal.

WalterB

I also thought IPA was the best - and thanks for the tip on buffing afterwards.

When using materials that come with a protective mask (Dibond, acrylic, some PVC) do the mask not leave some residue? To be on the safe side, we clean anyway.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
The Palight pvc we were getting has been really nice....as far as I can tell, just swiffering and done. Feed into the QS and off we print.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
We use 90% Alch. for most stuff....good cleaning then a buffing. PVC Ive started ordering masked single sided and it seems to cut down on the need to clean the boards a great deal.

I've seen 70% and 99% available, but never 90%. Does it leave any streaks?

The only thing that works consistently for me is 99% ISA. 70% is a disaster.

ProWraps

I've seen 70% and 99% available, but never 90%. Does it leave any streaks?

The only thing that works consistently for me is 99% ISA. 70% is a disaster.

here target, walmart and all the pharmacies have 90%

we buy from target for the 70% as we dont use 90%. we clean them out everytime we go there. sometimes they look at me like im cooking drugs.

i dunno what drugs require 70% iso, but i usually point them to the logo on my shirt and let them know what we do. 45 bottles of nothing but iso i guess isnt the most common sale.

i know costco has iso too, and i think it might be cheaper but as much as im in there, i keep forgetting to check it out. not sure if they sell 90%. i know they sell 70%.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Sams has 70%...doesnt work as well. I like the 90% ISO...sorry said ISA earlier...from Walmart. We clean them out as well.

10sacer

Why don't you just order 5 gallon drums from Pitman or some other offset printing supplier? WAY cheaper than each bottle from Walmart in the long run

10sacer

Where do you purchase the Jones' stuff from?

We have also used 409 with Vinegar on PVC boards.

We masked off 12" squares on a sheet of Sintra and took a bag of greasy potato chips and everyone smeared their fingers in each of the squares.
We then used everything under the sun to clean each square. We the imaged a light blue field over the whole board and the 409 with Vinegar was the best at removing the greasy fingerprints and not leaving any residual print or oily marks.

I think alot of this has to do with your particular inkset and cure wavelength/temperature, as well. I know guys with Durst machines that only blow the dust off the board and hit print and they say they have no issue with any smudges or fingerprints. On my CET, you better wipe well or you will see fingerprints. Also has to do with the amount of ink that gets laid down per pass.

Last edited:

rfulford

We were buying 91% IPA at walgreens and using it but it would not work effectively on some substrates like pvc or styrene. The 91% left streaks whereas 99% IPA did not. I liked buying the stuff off the shelf. We would take the bottles and drill a small hole in the top to make an instant squirt bottle. It was very convenient but ultimately did not work. It could have been the walgreens IPA or our sintra and styrene, I am not really sure. Switching to 99% cured the problem however.