• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning Edge of Polymetal/Aluminum

rlmercer

Hey Everyone,

We typically file down the edges of polymetal or aluminum after we cut it down on the panel saw. This can be pretty time consuming when there are several small - medium sized pieces. Are there any tools that can file it down quickly? Probably a simple answer, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks!
Ryan Mercer

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I described this only today in another thread but it's worth doing again.

I have an ~10" length of ~1"x3/4" brass bar. It weighs maybe a pound or two. The ends of the bar have a slightly rounded edge.

You put the end of the bar, holding it at about 45 degrees and tilted over the edge about the same and either push or pull along the edge. Push or pull, it really doesn't matter. This reforms the edge to a state indistinguishable from the factory edge. It doesn't disturb the color coating a bit. Basically, you're just pushing the edge back into shape.

You end up with a perfect edge and no filings or trimmings you have to clean up and no exposed aluminum along the edge.

Tony McD

To get smoother cuts, I've been cutting max-metal with a razor knife which cuts nice, but leaves a small raised lip on the edge.
Cabbaged on to one of my wifes old wooden kitchen rollers. (the ones you roll out noodles with)
Roll it down the edge and it does a nice job.

king signs

I use a deburring tool to smooth the rough edges from a saw cut on PolyMetal, Aluminum, Alumalite, and AlumaCorr. All you do is pull the deburring tool along the sharp edge and it "deburrs" the metal in a matter of seconds. They have been used in machine shops for years deburring sharp metal corners. I buy mine from Harbor Sales but you can order them from most any Industrial supply company such as MSC, Travers Tool, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, etc.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I use a deburring tool to smooth the rough edges from a saw cut on PolyMetal, Aluminum, Alumalite, and AlumaCorr. All you do is pull the deburring tool along the sharp edge and it "deburrs" the metal in a matter of seconds. They have been used in machine shops for years deburring sharp metal corners. I buy mine from Harbor Sales but you can order them from most any Industrial supply company such as MSC, Travers Tool, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, etc.

When any of the products you listed are saw cut there usually are no burrs on the resulting edge to remove. The metal is merely deformed and only needs to be reformed back into a good edge. It's much simpler to simply reform the edge using a piece of hardwood or brass. There is no reason to cut and remove material unnecessarily from what is a perfectly good edge, just a bit out of shape for the moment.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
We use a partially open set of scissors to deburr the edges of panel saw cut dibond... Super clean and quick.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
The Brass bar / rolling pin works great on knife or saw cut Sintra (Foamed PVC sheeting). it gives a smooth finished edging that works well for installed vinyl.