• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning handpainted metal sign

PT girl

I recently bought this old French clock face and I’m wanting to clean it up… mainly just remove visible grime and dust. I'm not planning to removing the rust as I don’t want to risk ruining it....it is hand painted. Is there some kind of spray or clear coat that would seal the rust… so dust doesn’t collect on it. What would you recommend to clean it with? I’ve read some places to just use distilled water then a blow dryer to avoid possibility of further rust. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• DSC02593.jpg
    DSC02593.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 167

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I, personally would give it a wash with water and a touch of Windex in it, or a few drops of dish soap and water, rinse it, let dry, or blow dry it with some clean dry air from a compressor and leave as is! Next time it gets dusty, blow the dust off with air.

Walter Boyd

To use, first scrape the rusty surface with a wire brush, paint scraper, sandpaper or other abrasive material to remove flaking rust, loose paint or scale. Then wash the surface with detergent and water, as described, and dry it thoroughly. Apply rust converter in two thin coats.
photo editor

Johnny Best

To use, first scrape the rusty surface with a wire brush, paint scraper, sandpaper or other abrasive material to remove flaking rust, loose paint or scale. Then wash the surface with detergent and water, as described, and dry it thoroughly. Apply rust converter in two thin coats.
photo editor
If you are keeping this sign for an antique, then do not start hitting it with wire brushes, scrapers, sandpaper and coatings. Just a cool dry area with a cloth over it to keep dust, debris and moisture away.