• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning oxidized paint

10sacer

Hello all,

Anyone got any suggestions for best thing to do to clean oxidized paint areas on metal where they now want to put self-adhesive vinyl? Repainting is not an option. I was just gonna use Prep All to wipe down the surface but am open to other ideas.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_153642.jpg
    IMG_20220727_153642.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_20220727_153648.jpg
    IMG_20220727_153648.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 107

rjssigns

Ummm.... Not sure what they're trying to accomplish but, I wouldn't touch it without a repaint. Wouldn't take much to do a "scratch 'n' splash" with some Rustoleum industrial spray bombs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That looks more like rust, which is basically a corrosion, more than oxidation. Oxidation, lotsa times you can use cleaners to remove most of it and then polish it out with compound, but to just rub something on it and hope for the best....... I'd walk away, too.

Never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.

2B

gnubler

Why is repainting not an option? Is someone that cheap? Putting vinyl on that is like putting lipstick on a pig.

signbrad

Oxidized paint must usually be physically abraded to remove the oxidized layer. Rubbing compound works for this. It is a mild abrasive, as is Soft Scrub and Comet Cleanser. But there seems to be rust in the photo, as Gino said. Sandblast and repaint is the only practical option. Nothing else will last very long.

Brad in Kansas City

Billct2

That's way more than oxidized. Minimum sand, prime with rusty metal primer & repaint. Or put the graphics om .040 or ACM and instal