• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning steel sheets

10sacer

Any suggestions on best way to clean the oily coating on thin steel sheets so self-adhesive material will adhere to it correctly?

Thanks

signheremd

Greased Lightning is what we use to prep steel for painting. Best to follow with alcohol to make sure the detergent from the Greased Lightning is gone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's white or cleaning alcohol. If ya wanna chump down on it,, be my guest, but I wasn't the one offering up hot, cold,, pickeled and oiled stuff..

Scratch

& Sniff
It's white or cleaning alcohol. If ya wanna chump down on it,, be my guest, but I wasn't the one offering up hot, cold,, pickeled and oiled stuff..
Hot rolled steel is formed hot leaving a mill scale on it which helps with corrosion enough that it doesn't rust as easily as the other stuff and is less dirty. Cold rolled steel is formed cold and is more exact on measurements, but is more easily susceptible to rust. It's not quite as clean to handle as hot rolled, but isn't really oily. I'd use Acetone on both of them. Pickled and oiled steel is pretty much cold rolled steel, but has an oil added to it to help with corrosion. I use lacquer thinner to remove that, but it doesn't dry as quick as acetone and it leaves streaks. Then I use Acetone right before paint or vinyl to remove the streaks. It dries quicker.

I may have to try that Rapidtac, I've never heard of it, thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No need for the tutorial. Most people here who need to know those facts, already know them. I said it in a tongue-in-cheek kinda way.

JoeJG380

Any suggestions on best way to clean the oily coating on thin steel sheets so self-adhesive material will adhere to it correctly?

Thanks
There are several ways to clean greasy, oily or dusty surfaces. You can use a degreaser, mineral spirits, vinegar or alcohol. Different products have their own advantages and disadvantages. You have to decide which one will be the best for your situation. Degreasers work well for oily surfaces. However, it may damage the surface if you don't rinse it off properly. Mineral spirits are safer to use, but they are solvent based, so they are not environmentally friendly. Vinegar will work if the surface is not left moist. Alcohols can be used on most surfaces. Use them only on clean, relatively dry surfaces; they evaporate quickly, leaving a residue.