• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning UV cured prints?

rasseru

Hi everyone, not a professional here, actually a client.

I got printed about £2000 of art years ago and wrapped them in cling film for storage, without thinking about possible residue or damage.

This is UV cured ink on transparent acrylic.

When I uncovered them they have this residue that is really really hard to shift even with microfiber cloth and washing liquid. I'm hoping it's not an acid damage from the cling film (?)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean these without damaging the UV ink?

My girlfriend suggested trying oil, and I've seen people use spinning buffers, but I'm afraid of scratches - they have a lot already and I did this to sell them :(

I'm guessing alcohol is a no no from what I've read.

Anyone have any suggestions that would really help me out! They were made to sell and they are unsaleable like this

rasseru

Hi Luke,

i've tried that. it wont shift without actual force going over, and even then, and with soaps doesnt really shift it. Some, but not all. (or i need to go stronger)

Luke Handford

Hi Luke,

i've tried that. it wont shift without actual force going over, and even then, and with soaps doesnt really shift it. Some, but not all. (or i need to go stronger)

I wouldn't want to tell you to use any certain cleaning agents incase of damaging the print.
Perhaps get in contact with the people who printed it & ask them as they will know best how to clean it for their certain printer's specs & requirements...

rasseru

Arizona 350GT apparently

edit* and its cmyk with white spot UV cured ink, so the back of the printed parts are completely white

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
To be honest, I've scrubbed the hell out of our Arizona 360GT prints with microfibre cloth + 99.9% isopropyl alcohol before (immedately after print, due to some minor ink dropping in the wrong place) and it takes a monumental effort to get it off acrylic.
I'd wager that the inks sitting there for several years would have hardened them up even more, so if there's an inconspicuous corner you can test this with I'd certainly give it a try. Maybe 50/50 isopropyl/distilled water to give you a bit more wiggle-room with solvent strength, but the Arizona inks do set pretty hard after print.

rasseru

that would be amazing if it works!! i'll give it a go and hopefully a happy report back soon.

on a side note - is there a kind of transparent substrate that is scratch resistant AND light AND cheap(ish)? I stack up multiple sheets of transparent acrylic/perspex and so glass is out of the question (not to mention expensive!) but I would love to have newer ones more hardy

or is glass my only option

TimToad

UV cured inks don't rely on solvents or heat to dry them making them incredibly tough and more chemically resistant than other types of ink.

As another member has done, I've wiped prints with 99% alcohol right off the flatbed and it removed overspray or drips, but didn't affect any fully cured ink.

With all advice offered here, test your choices of cleansers and please post photos to aid those offering advice.

rasseru

yes! alcohol works!

I have a lot of these to go through - and i trust now that the ink is pretty cured on there. i did see another thread where someone mentioned a polishing pad - is that something that goes on the end of a drill and if so, is there a specific pad to use?

also there is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Polishing-Compound-Haziness-Discoloured/dp/B009DHE0HK - after cleaning could i use this to remove scratches? if so i would be SO HAPPY i cannot describe it, the hairline scratches I got after an exhibition with them made me so sad. (i made them thinking i could easily sell the originals, not even thinking about damage)