• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear coat issue

bagdaddys

i get my 2'x4' signs printed at a local sign shop. They print direct to the surface using one if their flatbed printers. They use a UV ink...not sure what type/brand. I then take these signs, do some minor finish works and then apply a water based clear coat.

my issue is that on this last run of material the clear coat will not bond to the printed surface. It dries and I can peel it off. This has never happened before.

in the last 48 hours we have been through a process of elimination to narrow the cause down. We discovered that these signs were printed on a different machine that uses a different type of UV ink. We have used 2 types of water based clear and one oil based clear and none will bind to the ink.

ok....so the long term problem is solved....use the ooriginal machine for all future prints!!!!

my immediate problem.....I have 84 signs with this NEW ink and a deadline that will not allow the time needed to reprint the signs. HAS ANYONE EVER COME ACROSS THIS ISSUE AND IS THERE ANY TYPE OF CLEAR COAT I CAN APPLY THAT WILL BOND TO THE SURFACE??????? PLEASE SAVE ME SIGNS 101. This contract will keep me busy for the next 2 years if I can delivery this first order on time and of a high quality.

rubo

what's the substrate? how long of a lifetime expected? you could laminate the prints - for now, to save the job while looking for solution. or you can mount PET on top of clear adhesive - 4x8 sheet is about $15.

bagdaddys

what's the substrate? how long of a lifetime expected? you could laminate the prints - for now, to save the job while looking for solution. or you can mount PET on top of clear adhesive - 4x8 sheet is about $15.

Substrate is 3/4" birch plywood. We are printing direct to the plywood. Product is Cornhole boards. They will be outdoors a good bit. Been doing it for 3 years. Gotta have the clear coat. If they take good care of them they will last a very long time

artbot

yes. the CET series 49 ink left a very non stick surface. not a problem until you wanted to coat it. it was like painting a milk jug.

spray bull dog adhesion promoter on them. just a light mist. wait 20 minutes then spray with your clear. after a while you have "open time" issues. i wouldn't use a waterbased. i'd go with some kind of poly like frog juice. it doesn't have any hot solvents and will stick well to the bulldog.

also, remember that uv prints post cure. letting sit overnight before spraying them is a good idea.

before spraying the whole lot, i'd do some testing on your particular ink/print.

bagdaddys

yes. the CET series 49 ink left a very non stick surface. not a problem until you wanted to coat it. it was like painting a milk jug.

spray bull dog adhesion promoter on them. just a light mist. wait 20 minutes then spray with your clear. after a while you have "open time" issues. i wouldn't use a waterbased. i'd go with some kind of poly like frog juice. it doesn't have any hot solvents and will stick well to the bulldog.

also, remember that uv prints post cure. letting sit overnight before spraying them is a good idea.

before spraying the whole lot, i'd do some testing on your particular ink/print.

What do you mean by open time

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The time it's gonna take you to mist on a coat, give a good coat or two of clear and dry in between coats for 84 signs, should be more than if you just waited to have the guy re-print the 84 pieces.

I'm guessing, but they're about 3' x 4' or 5' ?? You can print them on even a slow flatbed in a day's time. Maybe a long day, if they are willing to work with you.

My question would be, if they had it down pat and gave you what you wanted in the past, why did they change if they knew you cleared them when finished ?? I'm not pointing blame, but I think your supplier is at fault here for not informing you of a change on their end.

bagdaddys

The time it's gonna take you to mist on a coat, give a good coat or two of clear and dry in between coats for 84 signs, should be more than if you just waited to have the guy re-print the 84 pieces.

I'm guessing, but they're about 3' x 4' or 5' ?? You can print them on even a slow flatbed in a day's time. Maybe a long day, if they are willing to work with you.

My question would be, if they had it down pat and gave you what you wanted in the past, why did they change if they knew you cleared them when finished ?? I'm not pointing blame, but I think your supplier is at fault here for not informing you of a change on their end.

I agree 100%. Just gotta focus my efforts on getting the product out on time first..if there is a way (starting to face the fact that its probably not going to happen) and then the issues will be addressed with the print shop.