Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Suggestions Question clear-coating a UV printed transparency film?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by MikePro, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    is an acrylic polyurethane spray clear-coat an acceptable way to finish UV print?
    mathews acrylic polyurethane, to be precise, or would solvents break-down the ink?

I would attempt a sample, but I only have a latex printer. This finished print was provided by a 3rd party using a UV printer on 2mm white transparency film/poster, but I don't want to fall-back on finger pointing when the first person to walk by this thing clips it with their purse and puts a white line thru the image.

My other option would be a water-based liquid laminate, but it would require hand-rolling that usually leaves a less-than perfect finish.

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I would probably give it a dry coat or two. Then, you could spray it with as much as you want. I do it quite often.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bowtievega

bowtievega Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Gilbert, AZ
    We spray over our UV prints all the time. We use Grip Guard products. Like Gino said, you have to put a light coat on first, you bury the print in clear the solvents will affect the print. Have not tried with Matthews but assume it will work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    hell yeah, i'll give it a go. same way I clearcoat my foil stamped photopolymer ADAs. too heavy and it starts to break down the ink. dry/light coat it a couple of times before a finish coat, comes out pristine.
    Thanks for the tips!