• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

clear-coating a UV printed transparency film?

MikePro

is an acrylic polyurethane spray clear-coat an acceptable way to finish UV print?
mathews acrylic polyurethane, to be precise, or would solvents break-down the ink?

I would attempt a sample, but I only have a latex printer. This finished print was provided by a 3rd party using a UV printer on 2mm white transparency film/poster, but I don't want to fall-back on finger pointing when the first person to walk by this thing clips it with their purse and puts a white line thru the image.

My other option would be a water-based liquid laminate, but it would require hand-rolling that usually leaves a less-than perfect finish.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would probably give it a dry coat or two. Then, you could spray it with as much as you want. I do it quite often.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We spray over our UV prints all the time. We use Grip Guard products. Like Gino said, you have to put a light coat on first, you bury the print in clear the solvents will affect the print. Have not tried with Matthews but assume it will work.

MikePro

hell yeah, i'll give it a go. same way I clearcoat my foil stamped photopolymer ADAs. too heavy and it starts to break down the ink. dry/light coat it a couple of times before a finish coat, comes out pristine.
Thanks for the tips!