• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear glass frames for vinyl....

muledalton

The wife of a friend of mine bought a frame with clear glass and no backing that had vinyl lettering adhered with their family name on it in Oklahoma City. The picture was 18" wide by 14" tall and was bought for $120. That sounds like an 800 to 900% markup (the kind I love). I've done a couple of them for family members but I am having trouble finding suitable frames. The ones I used were bought at Walmart but were definately less quality than the one mentioned above in OKC. I could build them since I'm a high school woodshop teacher but I hate building picture frames. Does anyone know or have seen any of these frames around? I think they would be called a floating glass picture frame. When the light from the room shines through the glass the vinyl letters cast a shadow on the wall which really makes the picture pop. I've tried to illustrate with the attached pictures below. One is what the picture looks like when hung on the wall and the other shows a cross section of the picture frame.
frame.jpg

cross section.jpg

SurfaceSigns

I get a lot of frames from Michaels (www.michaels.com for a store near you). I believe what you are looking for is called a Floating Frame (See below). I've done a number of photo frames with personalized messages and names. Etched/frosted glass vinyl is my favorite medium for doing this sort of thing - subtle, yet effective. Layering the vinyl can give some neat effects as well.

Attachments

• j-wf-group.jpg
    j-wf-group.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 77