Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clear glue for push throughs

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by Alan Foster, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:48 AM.

1. Alan Foster

Alan Foster Sign Maker

hello can anyone recommend a glue, for fastening push throughs in opal to an opal back when filling letters in on a cnc cut tray, we keep getting dark spots or when using tape it can be seen from the front when illuminated. i thought about just using dichloromethan which we use to stick acrylic locators on but not sure wheter it would work.

tia
    Alan

Tags:
  2. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    we don't glue acrylic into sign faces, we push it through. machine your Acrylic like a top-hat, with a ledge around the perimeter that keeps it from falling-out the face of the sign. secure from the backside with hidden fasteners/adhesive.

3. Alan Foster

Alan Foster Sign Maker

thanks Mike for the reply, but i doubt we could do that with our laser cutter, and our cnc mahine is a hobby one and doesnt like rebating at the best of times, i was just looking to a solution with a glue where i could drop in acrylic pieces

4. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Try Lexel on a test piece. It dries crystal clear but kind of 'etches' into acrylic, so that may not give you the result you're looking for.

5. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Check with these folks: https://weldon.com

Way back when I was working with acrylic I used their products. Mostly used the type that was like water and got applied with a syringe. Near instant bond and it wasn't coming apart.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    The only thing we still use for this is Channelbond by Transco I think. Theoretically another solvent adhesive would work, but that stuff always works. You can even glue polycarbonate to acrylics. You just have to have adhesive everywhere, to prevent water intrusion and freezing. That's not a fun phone call to pick up. Also it will strip powder coated paint off a sign face if you have a drip. Don't ask how I know...

I tried something from these folks that was very similar, water consistency, syringe and all, but the results were not as great as channelbond. I may have been using the wrong series of glue or something, but I did notice that channelbond only has one product, and it always worked for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    A better solution may be to laminate the back of the letters with 3m 467mp (double sided adhesive on a roll, comes in different widths) and stick them, then seal the perimeter. You can laminate the stuff to a sheet and route through it, not certain about laser. It can also be applied by hand, but it's more time consuming...