• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear over artists acrylics?

mrchips

I've learned that there are shops that will paint images and reliefs on thier signs with artists acrylics and then clearcoat.

Is anyone familar with this? Does it work and how long will it hold up? Would 1Shot acrylic clear work.

IF it works.......it would be a great option.

Thanks in advance,

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

signmeup

Joe,

I don't know about artists acylics but I use Delta Ceramcoat and Varathane exterior water based clear coat all the time. Ceramcoat is used by "tole"painters and is sold in little plastic squeeze bottles at craft shops among other places. Comes in a load of colours for about 2 bucks for a 2 oz. bottle. Americana is another brand name.

For the main body of a sign I use latex house paint but if I need a few colours, for something like an apple applique, I use Ceramcoat.

i only know of one sign guy who does this as a regular practice (he specializes in very ornate church signs with paintings of saints, jesus, mary, etc..)i went to work with him for a few months on a few particular demanding projects and here is what i noticed in regards to the way(s) that he protected his paintings.

first he let them dry thoroughly before clear cote is applied...after laying out the sign and cutting the substrate to shape he started painting the pictorial giving the image as much time to dry as possible.

Oils can be applied over COMPLETELY dry acrylics some people use a alkyd based layer in between so with that in mind it is just down to personal preference as far as clear cote goes...i am not sure what he is currently using but i will try to get an answer from him.

i also remember that he recommended that the signs are flipped around every 2 yrs so that both sides age somewhat similarly to get maximum time out of the signs.

weaselboogie

Minwax makes Polycrylic, a waterbased clear. I've used it over waterbased paints before, latex and regular craft acrylic paint. I've rolled it and also ran it through an automotive gun. The gun is the best coverage, but has a bit of a blue-tint if it's too thick.

I would think that urethane clear would probably provide the best quality look, but I'm not sure how that would work over acrylic. Createx makes Auto Air, a waterbased AIRBRUSH paint, that is formulated to be clear coated with urethane.

mrchips

Thanks for the great info!!!!

Dan, if you get more info from your friend, that would be great.

What I have done in the past is to mix artists acrylics with the mixing base of laytex house paint.....with no clear. It seems to hold up pretty well but it's not in a demanding location (mostly shade in the summer).

It'd be great to find a tried and true method.

Thanks again everyone for your input......I'll get back to this with what I decide to go with.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Mal

Just want to add that a clear should have UV inhibitors in it, or else some pigments, especially reds, will fade. I've used rustoleum brand Painter's Touch Clear Acrylic gloss. It's UV resistant, and here in canada its at Home Depot. It deepens the colours nicely.
--mal

Fatboy

I use the same stuff that they use for decoupage to cover any work I have done, since that stuff don't react with any thing. You can then use almost any clear spray over it.

knucklehead

I clear coat over waterbased paints pretty regular,the main thing is, it HAS to be completely cured. Dry, is not "Cured". If the acrylics or whatever are still in the curing stage (meaning all the moisture hasn't evaporated), then you seal that moisture in under the clear, well nothing good is gonna come of that.

Fatboy

I clear coat over waterbased paints pretty regular,the main thing is, it HAS to be completely cured. Dry, is not "Cured". If the acrylics or whatever are still in the curing stage (meaning all the moisture hasn't evaporated), then you seal that moisture in under the clear, well nothing good is gonna come of that.

That is why I like the decoupage stuff.....it cures very quickly

Fatboy

In South Africa we have a product called "gripflex' that we use for our decoupge techniques.Very good stuff

luggnut

what about clearshield? i use it on banners sometimes... it's waterbased and has uv inhibitors. has anybody ever used it for this app?

i have used acrylics a lot for automotive airbrush work (createx) and then cleared with urethane... holds up well.

signmeup

Like I posted earlier, I use hardware store Varathane water based UV outdoor clear. It's cheap, drys fast and you can get it at the hardware store. It's water based so if you put it over a waterbased paint they can both still cure or dry. This is on signs over house paint and the afore mentioned craft paint.......on a motorcycle gas tank I'd use automotive products recommended by the paint manufacturer.

I've been clear coating over Delta Ceramcoat with water based clear varnishes for 25 years on outdoor projects. I've been using the Varathane brand for the last 5 years. I like the matt.

Jane Diaz

We recently discovered Novacolor for our mural meet we had here in town last June. It is awesome to work with and you can buy it in little sizes up to 1 gallon sizes. It is available at www.novacolorpaint.com The staff there are very nice to work with and their web site has LOTS of info about their product.
You can clear it with it's own clear or use an Automotive clear.

Last edited: