• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear over old painting

Billct2

We're restoring an old carved sign that has a 2'x3' oval panel with a landscape painted on it. It is is surprisingly good shape considering how beat the rest of the sign is. So we have cleaned it and will reuse it.
I want to clear over it, both to brighten it and protect it. I don't know what it was painted with, probably acrylics, but maybe oils or even sign paint.
Not sure what to use. I remember there was a clear coat we would use over old sign that didn't need repainting, something like "Sign Finishing Clear", maybe that or something similar, Frog Juice?
Any recommendations?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not knowing what paints were used or how long they've been on there, I'd be very careful.

I'd first sand it with maybe 1200 sand paper.... ever-so-slightly and then spray a dry coat or two on there and make sure nothing bubbles up or starts reacting to your clear. Once that is established I'd put a few coats on getting heavier each time until you're finished.

I'd use a poly-urethane. Good luck...............

Billct2

Yea, I thought about using some 2 part poly I have, but afraid it might be reactive.
I was thinking an acrylic or waterborne finish would be safer.
I can test it on the edge where it will get covered.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can use just about any clear for the dry coats and be sure your poly will work together with that.

insigniagraphics

There's a great product, sold at lowe's called "clear-seal" #606, made by SEAL KRETE.
This is a water-based, clear acrylic-urathane product, originally formulated for concrete flooring. This makes a great clear-coat alternative to any solvent-based products, and will adhere to almost any surface, be it painted or not. Can be sprayed or rolled on, and usually takes 2-3 coats to create a glossy finish. When fully cured, it is very hard and durable, and uv stable, so it does not yellow. I verified this info by calling the manufacturer, and they told me it is safe to be used as such... This is a great solution for old faded paint.