• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

clear release liner

signsourcellc

Does anyone have a vendor for a clear release liner? I'm switching over from paper backed to synthetic liner on all of my vinyl but a lot of the colors dont come with the synthetic liner still. I need a 15" roll of clear liner to lay the vinyl on so I can line up different colors. Any help would be appreciated.

signsourcellc

I have a small amount left on my roll my supplier went out of business. cut it weed it tape it and transfer it to the clear liner so you can see through it. Thats how I was taught to line up multiple layers of vinyl.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Does anyone have a vendor for a clear release liner? I'm switching over from paper backed to synthetic liner on all of my vinyl but a lot of the colors dont come with the synthetic liner still. I need a 15" roll of clear liner to lay the vinyl on so I can line up different colors. Any help would be appreciated.

Do your layout utilizing all your colors. Place two diamonds (45 degree rotated square) about .5 high somewhere within your design, and as far apart as possible.

Weed your vinyl and leave the diamonds attached to the backer. (You'll cut diamonds with each color)

Lay your first color, including the diamonds.

Use an x-acto knife to cut out the diamonds in the second color (you'll be making little windows).

Lay the second color over the first, and align the diamonds. Hinge and apply.

Do the same for subsequent colors.

Remove the two diamonds when all your colors have been applied.

JB

TXFB.INS

personally, that sounds like a lot of unneeded steps/wasted material

I was thought using registration marks was the fastest way, especially since 95%+ of vinyl comes on white backing paper
here is the video I was taught on

[video=youtube;kTSPgkdDgEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTSPgkdDgEE[/video]

Andy D

It's high dollar and translucent, but all of our 3M 3630 series vinyls
comes with clear plastic backing.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
personally, that sounds like a lot of unneeded steps/wasted material

I was thought using registration marks was the fastest way, especially since 95%+ of vinyl comes on white backing paper

here is the video I was taught on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTSPgkdDgEE

Oy! He's using the diamonds but he wasted 3 or 4 inches inches of vinyl in the process. Put the diamonds within the artwork bounding box and you won't waste vinyl.

JB

TXFB.INS

The diamonds serve as registration marks, and there's no unnecessary steps or wasted material.

JB

the method the OP described is both unnecessary steps and wasted material

That is why a listed a video to show the fastest way and how to do registration with a white liner

signsourcellc

boss just asked me to try to find the material we had. we use 220 vinyl but only certain colors come with the clear liner so we had a roll of just the liner. I understand there are other ways to do it. I'm just looking to find the liner. Any one that knows where to get it would be a big help.

\m/

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
3M 7725 comes with the clear synthetic liner and is cheaper than the translucent but still a premium vinyl. Try Gregory. Gregory is a good company and they don't sell retail cheaper than wholesale like stab you in the back Frank Fellers does with Cheetahwrap.

Like others have stated, there are a lot of ways to register vinyl without using clear liner. Registration marks being the primary, but if it doesn't have to be exact you can use weed boarders that line up with an edge or corner of a blank. Heck, two really good installers installing together often don't even need registration marks after the first one is down.

How you register usually is determined by tolerance and trying to limit waste. If you took a poll I would bet most people are printing instead of cutting multiple colors now days especially when there are 3 or more colors.

gabagoo

I have a small amount left on my roll my supplier went out of business. cut it weed it tape it and transfer it to the clear liner so you can see through it. Thats how I was taught to line up multiple layers of vinyl.

I still don't understand how you can transfer from paper to clear plastic? I mean how do you remove the premask after transfering?

Marlene

boss just asked me to try to find the material we had. we use 220 vinyl but only certain colors come with the clear liner so we had a roll of just the liner. I understand there are other ways to do it. I'm just looking to find the liner. Any one that knows where to get it would be a big help.

\m/

check with your supplier as I think they still do 225 which is on clear.

paul luszcz

We outsource our digital prints and they occasionally arrive with wrinkled backer sheets or other issues. We stopped having the premark applied in order to allow them to ship them rolled because they were otherwise a mess.

To the point, apply premark and tape a hinge on the graphic to the synthetic liner as if it were your substrate. Apply as you would to a substrate; remove the paper backer, lift, squeegee down to the synthetic liner, remove the tape hinge and trim.

Is it extra work? Yes.

Would do you end up with? A perfectly flat usable graphic with transfer tape applied on a clear, synthetic liner.

The only real problem is wasting perfectly good vinyl with synthetic liner in order to get the liner only.

If any knows where to buy a roll of liner only, I'd love to hear it.

scott pagan

i'd just use clear premask.

the (diamond) reg marks are very helpful too if you can utilize that method with your cut layouts.

AaronSSsignsKC

It sounds to me like you need clear mask. I layer a lot of vinyl and have never heard of this. We just mask with clear, also like previously said some 3m vinyls 360's have a clear liner

Andy D

Another option is to build yourself a light table, you be able to see through the paper liner
to line up your registration marks.

signsourcellc

I still don't understand how you can transfer from paper to clear plastic? I mean how do you remove the premask after transfering?

you remove the premask once the vinyl is applied. Just like you would if you were applying it with a paper back. the clear release is just so you can see all the way thru it to line up to the underlaying color. Thats just how I have always done it. install base color then line up using the clear back and clear transfer tape then tape it in place and remove the release liner and lay the vinyl over that color and remove the mask. Thats how I was taught...

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It is hard to stop digital prints or RTA graphics from tunneling on the liner and it doesn't mater whether its on paper or plastic. The only guarantee is to ship them flat or rolled tightly around a large diameter tube like a 8 to 12" sauna tube.