• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear vinyl print?

4R Graphics

Ok quick question what material do you guys recommend for doing a reverse print on clear with? Also gotta question about install. If you read my other post about substrates I said I am doing a wall mural that is 7' tall and 40' long. I am thinking of doing a reverse print with clear then back it with white on .150" lexan then mount it to the wall so its easy to mount and the graphics are protected. Here is my install question since the lexan will be 7' wide I can not run it through my laminator so I figure I could do a wet install with the reverse printed clear but what about the white backing vinyl I thought I could wet install it also but will have to use just water and a little soap but not sure if it will mess with the ink I am using full solvent ink what do you guys think? I think I am going to run the graphics length wise with a single horizontal seam. I could use some input on the wet install or a better way if you have one. I really need to know what clear vinyl is recomended for doing the reverse print. I have never done a reverse print so I need input. I assume you dont print on laminate but a thicker clear vinyl. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for all the help so far I love this place.

I would have failed years ago if it wasnt for the great people here.

iSign

I didn't see your other thread.. who's idea was it to do things this way, and why?
I'm not assuming it shouldn't be done this way, just trying to get the whole story... maybe I need to hunt down another thread.. does this mural need to be remover... or moved? Is there some serious abrasion risk? I think you could save a lot of money printing on white & mounting on aluminum, diebond, or PVC... but if you must do reverse panels, orajet makes a clear 3651 I would use for flat indoor work.

You have 7' x 40, so 10 sheets of 4x8's cut to 4x7 right? So, why have a horizontal seam? you have a 30" printer? If so, sub out 4x7 prints.. put white on withe laminator & only install once using the big squeegee...

4R Graphics

Isign,
I was looking at running a single 7' wide piece of lexan that is why the horizontal seam. If you look in the materials forum there is a thread started by me that covers the job details. I had thought about the panels but wanted more protection. Hopwever after speaking with the client I think we might just go with PVC panels makes it easier and cheaper.

Thanks for the input

I still want for personal practice and know how to do some revesre printing and backing with white and figure out how to install something that is to large for the laminator with the clear backed white graphics process. A job will come one day and I hate learning on a pay job how to do a job its always good to have done it at least once before.

Sticky Signs

Word of caution when doing reverse prints on clear with a white backer. The clear adhesive may not be as clear as it looks. There's usually a bit of a color shift when viewed through the adhesive. I find that oracle 3651 has a yellow tinge to it so your prints will looks more yellow than you want. You should test it first than compensate for it before running a job.

iSign

I did go find that thread. How much would that single sheet of roll stock cost? Did you get a quote yet? Also, what kind of artwork at the seams? several lines of text? or a simple solid background? getting seams to line up is a challenge anyway, and just because you can buy a continuous 40' piece of Lexan, I wouldn't be so sure you could manage to print and install a continuous 40' piece of printed vinyl... I sure don't know if i could do that... what I do know is neither of us is gonna do it twice in a row, perfectly straight, AND not have some alignment issues... even if it wasn't HIDDEN by a white backer

..so, I think you are off on a much better path with separate 4x7 panels, and first surface application.. easier install, save money on substrate AND on the lack of white needed...

but alignment will still be tricky if graphics cross that line frequently...

4R Graphics

Isign,
Your right I feel the single panels will be easier to manage. I plan to install the graphics on the wall after the substrate like doing a vehicle wrap so alignment should be ok. The price on the lexan was 100" wide was $37 per linear foot. The cost wasnt to bad compared to what the sign panels cost its pretty even but alot more work installing clear print then white backer (but I get paid a good rate for labor).

Well the quote is in have to wait and see if we get the job.