• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CLIENT REFUNDED! How would you have handled this?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
IMHO, the client pulled a fast one to get the work free or cheap.

We tell our customers to look closely at sketches for any mistakes or things they don't like. That is the time to make changes. The same thing goes for the price quote. Everything is exact and listed right there on paper in plain English.

Once they give the go-ahead to produce something like a banner, sign, etc. they are on the hook and will be made to pay. We'll file a lien on their business if they don't.

We also don't give away design time for free. If they want us to design something not really sign related (custom logo, business card design, etc.) they go into the process knowing the meter is running. They can make changes but they will pay more for the extra time consumed. This price to time element gets customers thinking a lot more specific about what they want instead of doing the "show some options until I see something I like" stupid game.

rjssigns

"Personality of client: Client appeared accustomed to having others
do the work for her despite her statement that she has over
20 years experience in the printing industry."

Probably 20 years experience doing exactly what she did to you!
We had a print customer years ago that was always in a rush for his
print jobs. Somewhere in his previous dealings he learned that he could get a discount on the price by b*tching...he maximized this likelyhood by rushing orders.

OMG Clear Choice right on! I hadn't even mentioned that this too was a rush order. Probably because most of our orders are rush, but 99% go off without a hitch! So I didn't think anything of it being rushed. I NEVER thought that it could be an attempt to get a deal!

Ironic! She was in a rush to get a deal, and I was in a rush to get rid of her! Adios muchaco..es!

rjssigns

IMHO, the client pulled a fast one to get the work free or cheap.

We tell our customers to look closely at sketches for any mistakes or things they don't like. That is the time to make changes. The same thing goes for the price quote. Everything is exact and listed right there on paper in plain English.

Once they give the go-ahead to produce something like a banner, sign, etc. they are on the hook and will be made to pay. We'll file a lien on their business if they don't.

We also don't give away design time for free. If they want us to design something not really sign related (custom logo, business card design, etc.) they go into the process knowing the meter is running. They can make changes but they will pay more for the extra time consumed. This price to time element gets customers thinking a lot more specific about what they want instead of doing the "show some options until I see something I like" stupid game.

Perfect !!!!!!!! Love it!

rjssigns

I made 10 prints for a landscaper's trucks after a 50% deposit was made and the layout approved with a work order. When he came to pick them up he was b1tching about the cost and wanted a discount. I told him the job was done and the price set. He then said "what will you do with them with my companies name on them. When he kept complaining I picked up my largest pair of Fiskar scissors and cut one print in half as he gasped and tried to stop me. He paid the bill and asked me to make another print. Of course he had to pay for the other print. He is a pretty good customer now.

Jackpine, Awesome!! We really need to compile a "Custom Sign Co. Bible!" ~ End of discussion! 99% of our customers are Awesome! It takes that ONE schmuck to throw a wrench in the works . . . of any business.

SilverScout

I do not print business cards or do banners but if I did I would have printed on the estimate sheet, the approval sheet and the final sales reciept "ALL APPROVED WORK FINAL....NO REFUNDS ON APPROVED WORK" This would eliminate the problem.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I made 10 prints for a landscaper's trucks after a 50% deposit was made and the layout approved with a work order. When he came to pick them up he was b1tching about the cost and wanted a discount. I told him the job was done and the price set. He then said "what will you do with them with my companies name on them. When he kept complaining I picked up my largest pair of Fiskar scissors and cut one print in half as he gasped and tried to stop me. He paid the bill and asked me to make another print. Of course he had to pay for the other print. He is a pretty good customer now.

That is epic. Kudos, kudos!