• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client refusing payment

10sacer

In 13 years of business, I've written off enough bad debt to have paid cash for a Ferrari. Most of them were "friends" or recommendations from industry colleagues. Go figure...

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I'm seeking advice here on what is common practice. We have produced and installed a sign for a client to the specifications that they requested and collected a 50% deposit on the order up front. Now that the job is complete and the sign has been installed, the client is reluctant to pay the remaining balance on the invoice. What is my best course of action? Have you dealt with this issue? Can we remove the sign since it technically has not been paid for? Thank you in advance for your response.
Don't stress about it but take the steps to move the matter to Small Claims Court. You'll get your money eventually.

Guys after being ripped by companies and individuals large and small our conditions of the signed contract are;-

"Further, the person signing as Purchaser below will be fully and personally responsible for ensuring that full payment is made terms as follows: 50% deposit on estimates over $2,500.00. 100% payment orders below $2,500.00. Payable at time of signing, balance, if applicable, due on the day of installation and prior to installation completion pursuant to the terms of this agreement. Cancellations are not accepted. Any refunds for change of work will be issued as in-store credit.

On occasion, I know of some sign companies whereby .........Customers have paid the balance and then charged back after completion or issued a bad check for the balance the sign cannot be removed for non-payment BUT COULD need a letter or part of same to be removed for repair to be code compliant or honor warranty!
Subsequently, the repaired part would not be returned due to an outstanding balance!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've been having some problems lately getting remaining payments. And even a couple payments from clients who have always sent me a check same or next day for years. I really hate it when I have to chase money down and I did that Saturday morning. Going to have to get the remaining payments at time of pick up from now on. That becomes frustrating with vehicles because they often pick them up after I've left for the day. A few bad apples ruins for everyone!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, you may not leave a customer's vehicle outside for them to pick up after hours. Totally against insurance policies. You are 100% responsible for anything left outside and the insurance company will not back you if you leave it outside unless you have, I think it's called 'Lot Insurance'. I can house up to 5 vehicles in our bay areas, so they either get here before I leave or after I get in, in the morning..... and no exceptions.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Around here, you may not leave a customer's vehicle outside for them to pick up after hours. Totally against insurance policies. You are 100% responsible for anything left outside and the insurance company will not back you if you leave it outside unless you have, I think it's called 'Lot Insurance'. I can house up to 5 vehicles in our bay areas, so they either get here before I leave or after I get in, in the morning..... and no exceptions.
we have garage keepers and everything is locked inside a gated area and the keys are locked inside the office. I still won't leave a vehicle outside for someone to pickup after hours. Same with dropoff. We get people asking if they can drop stuff off in front of our gate a night, no go. Too many thieves in this area for that. Our insurance stipulates that it has to be parked in a locked area and the keys kept locked inside. Every year, the insurance inspector comes here and takes a picture of where we store the keys.
I worked at Uhaul a long time ago and it was common to see a brick come through the window, a hand reach inside to grab the night drop keys and a few minutes later you'd see a truck driving off in the video. Also not in the best areas but thieves have wheels and will travel.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hmm that's all very interesting. I should probably ask my agent. I know I have garage keepers but I don't have a garage here onsite. Low crime area and I have security cameras outside.

I'm going to have to start not allowing pick-ups unless I have payment. Shame on those good customers for taking advantage of the situation.

I always pay my "small business" bills immediately as I know what it's like to be sitting waiting for final payment. Plus it ensures good service for the next time!

truckgraphics

Story time:
I had this customer who was notorious for slow paying, but kept returning so I kept doing business with him.
One time he ordered signs in a rush job and, what the heck, I produced them. It was 200 bucks. But when he let it drag paying out for two or three months, I was ticked off. Yes, it was a small job, but I went out of my way to get it done for him in time. It's not just the money, but I don't like getting screwed when I do someone a favor. I like the money too.

Went over to his place of business. Asked his manager/partner - person with checkbook - for payment. She payed me. But the customer's son came outside the business and threatened to kill me if I ever came over and asked for payment (I assume during business hours) again.

A week later, the guy calls me up to do another job. Did I do it? Yes. So this went on. Never heard from the son again.

Just before they went out of business, I did a job for his manager. Asked for payment up front. As I'm driving over to talk to the manager about the job, the guy calls.
"You want payment up front? You know me."
"Yes, I do know you."

He paid up front. Or she did.

Anyway, it all ended on one more job for some magnets. The manager paid me half, maybe 100 bucks (I never learn). Never saw the last payment, but then they never picked up the magnets either. Out of business.

By the way, the guy was wanted all over town for payment. Even his attorney sued him for payment.

What a character! But I made a few bucks with him over time and I wish him, his manager and his son well, even if he did threaten to kill me.

Last edited:

fishoil_tycoon

More story time:

We did a job for a broker last year, he was basically a middleman for another client. We finished all the boxes and contacted him for payment so we can ship them out. No response. We sent email reminders almost every day for maybe 2-3 months.

Then finally we just looked at the artwork on the box, got his client's company's information and contacted them directly. We told them "Hey, we're the actual manufacturers and your broker is refusing to pay us." They told us that they've already paid for the boxes.

2 days later we had the full payment in hand and shipped the boxes out. No comment from the broker or anything.

What I think happened was this: The client placed the order, paid the broker up front, and then forgot about it. The broker thought he could just pocket all the cash so he never followed up. Once we emailed his client, it jogged their memory and they wanted their boxes.

I'm sure a lot of scummy brokers prey on new companies like that. They take all the money up front, and hope the company fails before they have to pay their suppliers/manufacturers so they get to pocket the entire amount.

Howie

I'm no lawyer but if you remove it you are in for big trouble. Don't do it.
We live in a country of laws. If they don't pay, based on the amount of the claim, take them to court.
First send them a demand letter, certified. The judge will ask if you did that. Keep the certified receipt.
If it's small claims, usually less than $2000 (depends a lot on your state and county) then you can file the claim yourself
and meet them before the judge. Get pictures, bring emails, agreements, anything you can. If you have a case and the judge is fair,
you can easily win. If they don't show up, you the plaintiff win the case by default.
If they still refuse to pay after you win, you can go to a sheriff with a copy of their last check.
If they have money in that account, he can get the bank to withdraw your judgement and give you the check.
It's a long process, it doesn't always go the way you think it should, but man, it's the education your parents couldn't afford to buy you.
You'll learn to read people and future customers real fast. "People, the toughest business in the world".

BTW, how much do they owe you? How big was the sign? Give us some deets. :p
A tough as it seems . Depending on the amount , if it's something you can live with by cutting your loses . It is just not worth the court battles , and some of these companies know this . In one of the cities we in ( Canada ) the sign becomes part of the structure ie building . Therefore you not allowed to remove the sign , unless you have a court order . This applies to the tenant as well . They cannot remove the sign .

Stacey K

I like making signs
It's just shocking to me in a small town that some small businesses hold off on paying bills to other small businesses. Being that I'm in business and I know how it is, I always make sure to pay my bills to any local business right away.

Howie

One of the lines we hand bold letters in our is " TITLE TO GOODS SPECIFIED REMAINS BLANK SIGNS LTD. UNTIL FULL AND FINAL PAYMENT HAS BEEN RECEIVED . Then another line to make matters clear that additional charges will apply " Interest on overous account charged at 2% per month " . These few lines sure get their attention .
Hope this helps you .
H.

Attachments

• 1660606024446.png
    1660606024446.png
    710 bytes · Views: 91

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
One of the lines we hand bold letters in our is " TITLE TO GOODS SPECIFIED REMAINS BLANK SIGNS LTD. UNTIL FULL AND FINAL PAYMENT HAS BEEN RECEIVED . Then another line to make matters clear that additional charges will apply " Interest on overous account charged at 2% per month " . These few lines sure get their attention .
Hope this helps you .
H.
I don't think that people who don't pay their bills really care much about the fine print.

2B

Had a recent account that a total change of heart once they were notified of becoming delinquent
Another account ignored this delinquent notice, we have a BLOODTHIRSTY / SAVAGE collection agency. They paid within 2 hours
My motto is if they allow themselves to become delinquent, they are being fired anyways. there are no pleasantries if you owe me money

NOTE:
Material(s) used becomes the property of the purchaser AFTER INVOICES ARE PAID IN FULL.
If payment in full is not received within the stated terms, this account is subject to a service charge of 1.5% per month not to exceed 18% per annum.

Delinquent balances past 30 days of receipt/delivery will incur a late fee for each day past 30 days. Delinquent balances past 30 days of receipt/delivery may be sent immediately to a collection agency. Once turned over to the collection agency the customer will be liable for the past due amount in addition to Late Payment Fees/Finance Charges and a minimum collection charge of 33% is added to the balance of the account, plus any additional attorney and/or court costs. Returned checks will incur a $35.00 “Return Fee” in addition to the outstanding balance, plus any additional attorney and/or court costs.

Howie

I agree to point . In the event you end up in court , you have a something to back you up . Not wanting to get inst any legal terms .

Stacey K

I like making signs
I like the customer who is always slow to pay until he needs another job - anyone ever run across this?
I'll be getting my $2000 check Friday for the trailer I did 2 weeks ago because my guy needs a new truck lettered. He's the only one I let slide because he's been my biggest customer and has referred many others to me. Both my sons also worked for him and he treated them excellent.

Splattgraphics

I know of a shop that has done several repos after dark, and a few in broad daylight. One time they were on a roof taking down the sign while the guy was on the ground calling the cops; man did that thing come down quick, and it was so much fun. I would not reccommend doing this, but hey, they got away with it and sometimes justice is justice.