• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client Said They Can Get The Material Cheaper

datoshway

Now that Metro Restyling and fellers has raped the industry by selling direct to consumer, what are wrap shops doing with the customers who claim the material is cheaper online. Can em?

I am starting to not charge by the SF. Flat project fee inclusive of installation. That way, our certified installers are the main value here. Thoughts?

CanuckSigns

I'm not a wrap shop, but I would explain to them that much like any other service based business, your raw material costs make up a small portion of your bill. Take your car to a mechanic to change your serpentine belt and the parts only make up a small portion of the bill.

I think you have to judge it on a case by case basis, if the client is trying to nickle and dime you and you don't need the work, let them walk. If you want the job tell them you will knock off your cost of the vinyl from your original quote, labour will remain the same, and they loose any type of warrantee that are due to material issues.

At the end of the day, it's been my experience that the type of client who wants to supply their own material to save a few hundred bucks at most is not worth working with, usually it's a sign to run and don't look back.

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
We have done a few "install only" for different reasons. I ALWAYS have them sign an agreement that basically states...there is not warranty and we are not responsible for substandard vinyl.

hcardwell93

I think that there are 2 types of customers that would want to supply the material.

1) Client is looking for the best value for their money. They want a quality product but doesn't want to pay full retail. This person may be receptive to education. Explain to them the differences, if any, in the material selected, the price difference and that if they supply material you will not warranty any failures. You have no control over the age and storage conditions of the material, or if it's a fake with "3M" printed on the backer paper. They may see that for your material markup it's worth the peace of mind that they won't have to pay for a full removal and wrap in 9 months due to bad vinyl.

This client would not worry me whether they supply the material or not.

2) Person is a scamy cheap skate that will try to slit your throat and trash talk you at the first opportunity. They really don't care about a good product, they just want their car wrapped so they look cool to their other scamy friends. They will buy the cheapest and/or worst vinyl and when something goes wrong it's YOUR fault! That scratch on the trim piece..you did it! That dent in the door..YOU dented it! That curb rash on the AutoZone spinners..YOU did that!!

These are not exaggerations, these are real things that have happened that you should look out for. Trust your instincts, but this person should be referred to a competitor.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We tell people that provided material costs more to install and that we aren't responsible for material usage or loss due to mistakes. Any additional material would be their responsibility and would be needed in x amount of time due to scheduling constraints.

We are Honestly moving away from color change and etc services since it's such a time waster and the clients who know the value are few and far in between or are not our normal demographic (luxury and exotic owners).