• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client wants Spray Painted words on painted brick

pure_media

Hello everyone,
I thought i'd put this here...for all the input that people may be able to tell me.

I have a client that just wants a single word painted on the back of her building. We were thinking of just doing a simple stencil of the word. So i was figuring to do a cut vinyl and reverse weed out the letters, sticking it to the painted brick wall and then spray painting in the letters.
I've read about the Oramask and Avery products, are those mostly for hand painted wood/metal signs? Would that also work laying out onto painted brick?

Could I just use some white calendered vinyl? Saving time and money. Although the higher tac could create problems when peeling off....leaving sticky residue or peeling off the original paint.

So im just wondering if anyone has done some things like this. Any input would be great and much appreciated!! Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have a few things wrong with your approach.

First of all…. rattle can paint won’t last outside very long. It’s about 50% thinner. Second, getting a decent coat on it will bleed behind your template. Third, the paint will lift your vinyl template.

The best way would be to make your template and then paint it on with a brush and paint and don’t thin it so it lasts for a while.

weaselboogie

I use oracal 631 for mask frequently. Removes great with no adhesive residue, but I've never used it on brick. I'd guess you're in for some headache trying to remove the transfer tape without peeling the vinyl off the wall in the process... depending on how rough the brick is. Charge accordingly!!

pure_media

Ahh yes that is true! thank you. That would be easier and more controlling done with a brush. I havent looked into which type of paint to use yet, but i will do that. Do you think a vinyl would work for a template? or should i go with something more stable? I think FabTac is a vinyl but that is used for painting onto fabric awnings.

Thanks!

pure_media

The building is an old building in DC which is painted, probably with old lead based paint, looks fairly smooth from photos, but i have yet to go and look at it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's a fairly easy word and not too high and you want to try it yourself... the easiest thing would be to:

• Make sure the painted brick will accept paint and prep it.
  • Make a pounce pattern.
  • Tape it up where it's gonna go.
  • Pounce it.
  • According to how big your letters are.... use a fitch and cutter to paint the area and fill it in.
  • Don't thin your paint much at all.
  • Go collect your money.

Jillbeans

Or use a projector and draw it on, then paint with a fitch.
Spray painting would be a disaster
(think of the overspray even if you do get paintmask to stick to a brick wall)
You can also pen plot and use a pounce wheel to make a pattern.
I would suggest using Ronan paint.
Love....Jill

pure_media

Thanks for your suggestion Gino, much appreciated. I'll have to give some more thought into the project and check out the situation. It is a very simple word and nothing that will be costing a ton of money. Just needs to get done and overwith. I'll look into the pounce method, i know of it, but not exactly how to execute it.
Thanks for everyones comments.

pure_media

yeah i think we'll go away from the spray painting-suretofail technique. gotta learn how to do the pounce technique but that may be our option. I dont think we'll go with the projector idea, but that's a good idea lol. or we'll go with a low tac vinyl and lay it up and then use fitch brushes to paint the edges gently and just take our time with it. That museum is pretty cool though! thanks for the link.

G-Artist

The wall, itself, will determine the best method.

You state "brick." That encompasses a lot. You could have deep-set mortar joints or almost flush mortar joints. Since it is painted, at least you do not need to prime. But you do need to properly clean and prep the area to be painted.

If it is a small logo - line of type then a simple pounce pattern is all you need.
Simple to make on almost any machine even one that will not accept a pounce wheel.

Stick your pen plotter thingy in place of the cutter knife. Make several legends (you always want a backup) using the pen on plotter paper which your supplier probably has on the floor. Your supply house probably can sell you a pounce wheel. Certainly a local arts or crafts store has them in stock. They come in various sizes. If you have very tight corners (serif type) get a small one. Use a medium to large one for sans serif.

Place the printed paper on a piece of cardboard - the kind used in shipping boxes - the bigger the better. Trace the pattern with the pounce wheel pushing firmly. Move the paper around as needed. When you think you are done hold the paper up to the light and check each character. Then flip the paper over and using about 230 grit or finer sandpaper (emery cloth also works in a pinch) and lightly sand over all the holes you just made. That will open them up a bit.

Grab an old cotton sock (save you from having to buy a pounce bag for a one-time job) and pour in a bit of either powdered charcoal or chalk...preferably black (blue works). You don't need much. Tape the pattern to the wall when it is leveled and in the proper place and then take the sock and bang it against the pattern allowing the contents to permeate the holes. Carefully lift the pattern in several places to make sure the pattern is completely visible. When it is, remove the pattern and paint. If it isn't, re-pounce the more sparse spots. You really can't over-pounce. Where you do, a light whisk from a dry paint brush will remove some of the over-dust. You may wish to try the pattern in the shop before venturing out just to be safe.

Now it is painting just like when you were a child using a paint-by-number kit only you use just one color.

Take your time and fill in around the outline. Then go back and do the solid fill.

If it was 8' or longer legend or more complicated then I'd use the opaque projector method but hat's best left for another day.

I envy you...I LOVE those jobs. The guys that taught me wall work would merely sketch the job freehand with a charcoal stick. I never got to be quite that good on a patterned wall such as brick. I always used a pattern (even if I drew it freehand in the shop) or a projector...I think I didn't trust myself.

You could cut a paint mask and brush or roller it on. If you do, I would recommend applying with a heat gun so it adheres and conforms tightly to the mortar joints (rivet brush would help) or you will have paint seeping under the stencil and that is a bitch to clean up. More than you can imagine.

Jillbeans

I really don't think a mask is the way to go on brick. Even painted brick.
Pouncing is not that difficult, G-Artist gave you pretty succinct instructions.
Also, if the building is in some sort of historic district, there may be specific rules against using any type of vinyl on it.

Pat Whatley

One word on brick?

Cut your stencil out of any vinyl you've got laying around the shop, you know, that puke green roll you've had for years and you'll never do anything else with. Apply it to the wall, it's not gonna stick real well so peel your tape carefully. Use a paint roller, just keep it faiirly dry, you don't want it dripping paint. Roll on a couple of coats, peel off your mask, get your check and go home.

Really, nothing to it.

sardocs

I've done quite a few by measuring the size of the bricks, drawing a layout on paper with a scaled down grid that corresponds with the bricks on the wall and just marking it out with a stabilo or charcoal stick. It's way easier than screwing around with masks or pounce patterns, and if your up high on a ladder you can layout and paint as you go.

Si Allen

Paint mask on brick is a disaster just waiting to happen!

If you are not able to do a pounce pattern, and not able to do a decent job with a brush ... sub it out to someone who is proficient at wall work!

pure_media

Wow thanks guys!! G-Artist, thats a great explanation and I will consider doing that. It's pretty high up on the wall and I think my employer wants to go with a vinyl mask and a quick paint job. I'll be gentle and even, with enough coats that it will last for some time. It's very simple lettering and only 6 letters about 10" high.

But awesome! Thanks for all the input!!