• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cling Vinyl for Car Dealership

jolly_john

Looks like I have an opportunity to get some dealership work. Currently, they have a "29 MPG" cling decal on the windshield of their cars. ( this is just an example )
They're all white and cling vinyl. Measure at about 14" square.
I've never cut the cling stuff...and I don't know anything about the app tape.
What do you pros suggest?
Thanks for your help,
jolly_john

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Clear or White static cling is widely available ... colors too perhaps. We Edge print the material and then cut rectangles as a rule but it could also be cut into individual characters.

We deliver it without transfer tape on the original liner and instruct the customer to reuse the liner for storage when not in use. It is very important to keep the cling free of dust and grit which will eventually interfere with it clinging properly.

Cutting it is just a matter of extending the blade out a few thousandths of an inch, increasing the downforce and reducing the plotter speed.

Bill Modzel

Just to extend Fred's answer a bit. The adhesive on transfer tape is far stronger than the "static" attraction of the material. If you transfer tape it, you won't be able to remove the tape without the static lifting up with it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
One other point. Cling must be removed periodically in warm to hot weather. If not it can literally melt and fuse to the windshield. We had a customer leave his on his back window, which was tinted very dark, for more than a year. He then complained to me that it wouldn't come off. At that point the only way to remove it was with a razor blade scraper in small chunks.

jolly_john

hmm...looks like I'll run down to the supply house and buy a small roll and experiment on my van.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!