• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Close to real gold paint?

wesley

Hey Guys,
Got a customer that I am doing some signs for. I just got done with one sign for him which is black with gold lettering(One Shot gold metallic).
He wants the gold paint to look a bit more like real gold (perhaps a more yellowish gold). Of course he doesnt want to spend the cash it would take to gold leaf these signs as they are quite large. Would anyone out there know of a gold lettering enamel that looks more like gold than One Shots gold met.?
Thanks a bunch for any help...

Jillbeans

Kemp's Permagild or Ronan Aqua Leaf.
Both are far brighter and more gold like than 1S.
Love....Jill

mrchips

You should be able to get Kemp at you local hardware store........

Mathews is closest but pricy.

Stay away from "Gold Paint" with brass or bronze powders in em........they turn black outdoors real quick.....even with clears.

"Gold is Gold........paint aint!"

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you ever think of doctoring up your 1Shot gold paint ?? There's no law that says you can't mix some yellows or creams to get a brighter hue.

SignManiac

That looks a lot like the crap sold in arts n' craft stores and it doesn't look very gold to me. I'd get the sample first to be safe.

Hurricane Signs

Hurricane Signs
Ronan Aqua leaf over automotive paint

Does anyone know if aqua leaf works over a dark automotive paint? I was told it might not stick.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Any colors that need good coverage seem to be like painting with snot.

Also, ya'll realize this a 4 year old thread ?? :wink:

Jillbeans

I know it's old.
This was before I tried NovaColours.
They have some really nice metallics.
I think either Nova or Ronan would require double coating over a dark background.
I would not recommend 1S.

Typestries

Nothing beats real gold leaf......but this is a pretty good alternative for the price conscious client.....
Nazdar rich gold powder + Matthews clear. Follow up with 2 coats good coverage of matthews clear. Experiment a bit with the powder to get the right amount so that it floats to the surface once it lands on the piece. It will rise to a smooth metal look if you get it right!

If it works (and lasts) for disney, it will likely work for you. We've been doing it for years for multi family development signs where real gold does not fit the budget.

Next time you are at the magic kingdom at opening and smell the matthews, stop and talk to the painters.....they're more than willing to chat w like minded guests, especially at the end of their overnight painting stint. They're usually quite happy, actually. That one conversation years ago wound up being the greatest matthews hack ever for us.