• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Closing on a house tomorrow

Fanaticus

Tomorrow my wife and I are closing on our first house.
We got a hell of a deal.

The house is a 2000 sq ft bi-level in a good neighborhood, assessed in 2010 at $171,000. 3 nice bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, an upper and lower deck, large family rooom, large dining room and kitchen divided by a large breakfast bar. It also has a large rec. room and a screen room facing the backyard. It has a nice laundry / mud room and a 2 car attached garage. Sitting on a little over 1/4 acre. The back yard is fenced in, the driveway is blacktop, the siding is aluminum, the roof is new.

The only downsides are the furnace, air conditioner, and water heater are 32 years old. Original with the house, which was built in 1979.

We are paying $120,000.

Now get this.

We are using 1 state funded grant (forgivable loan) that gives us $5,000 to use as down payment or closing cost assistance, as long as we bring the property up to code (done, for $250).

We are using 1 County funded grant (forgivable loan) that gives us $10,000 to use as down payment or closing cost assistance.

So a total of $15,000 to use for down payment and closing costs.

AND - after closing tomorrow, we are qualified and accepted to another county funded grant to gives us $20,000 to "rehab" the house. SO... a new furnace, water heater, and air conditioner are going in right away. THEN, with the money left over we're putting in new windows and patio doors, and possibly remodeling the kitchen and will still have money left over to update whatever else we can.

The inspections went really well, with just a few minor things that can easily be done by ourselves.

WOW!!! A $171,000 house for $120k, plus $35k to use to buy it and update it.

Not to mention an interest rate of 4.125% fixed.

We're pretty excited.

Currently we (my wife and I along with our son) live in a 700 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment in a vacation town. We figured that we will save $200 a month in gas by not having to drive as far to work every day, and we'll save another $70 a month in our water bill (expensive where we live) and about $40 a month in natural gas/ electric costs.... it's very expensive to live in a vacation town. Not to mention, when you live there, there's nothing there to do unless you really really really like the lake. So, what we will save every month will pay for the increase going from renting to owning plus some. And, we'll live much closer to the shop and be living in a town that has tons of activities other than a lake and rubbing elbos with the rich.

This house we bought was owned by an elderly retired couple. They moved in in 1981 after retiring. About 5 years ago the husband passed away and the wife stayed living there, 2 years ago at the age of 95 she passed away. The house was left to their only son, who is retired himself and doesn't have any real need for the money, as he's financially comfortable. So he's kept the house heated and water running for the last 2 years until he decided to sell it.

The decoration is original to the house from 1979 (wallpaper needs to go!), but is very sturdy and sound. With a little cleaning and paint it's going to be a great place to raise our son and house our family.

Just wanted to share.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Big Congrats................ :thumb:

You'll love it. Owning is one of the best feelings in the world.​

A bit of 'insiders' advice. Don't make a lot of changes inside right away. Live in it the way it is, because you might start changing this and that.... and a little down the road, you'll say.... I wish we would've thought this through a little better. We should've made this... this color or put this over there. You can survive some of the things for a few months. Just enjoy it.

vid

After replacing the water heater, check all seals in the plumbing. ...don't ask me how I know.

Congratulations!

genericname

Very happy for you!

My wife and I won't get the chance any time soon, unfortunately, as the housing market is being kept artificially high here for some reason (huge costs, even though nobody's buying).

Best of luck with everything!

Fanaticus

Thanks guys, even our little guy is excited about it. We've all the chance to spend some time in the house already other than the walk through. We spent several hours there with the home inspector, and a couple more hours with the plumber (kitchen sink garbage disposal was shot / leaking and had to be replaced or removed to meet code) as well as when the owner held an 'open house garage sale', so we've spent 6 or 7 hours in the house.

Our son knows which room is going to be his, and he LOVES it! He's even excited about his huge closet.

And of course we're going to take our time planning any real changes or design work done to it.... everything has to 'flow' :) That takes time & design ;)

For anybody else looking to buy a home, I highly recommend looking into seeing what grants might be available in your area or for your circumstances. We only knew about the $5,000 grant to start with and then we were told about the other grants and it put us in a completely different market than what we thought we could afford.

The other homes we looked at that we're priced from $85k-$120k were either very small or really old and needed TLC. One of them even had an upstairs bathtub that was falling through the floor. One had evidence of a rodent problem. And a lot of them were just laid out poorly and felt awkward.

We're very fortunate though, too. It turns out that the down payment grants won't be available after sept. 30th, which just happened to be the date we set for closing.... 45 days ago. If we were to close one day later, we'd miss out on $15k for down payment.

A lot of things just seemed to line up just right and at the right time for us.

w2csa

Congrats and welcome to homedom!
A lot better than rent and you can have all sorts of plans and dreams!

KARYN BUSH

That's great! It really is awesome to be borrowing $ at such a low rate. We just locked in at 3.75% fixed for 15 yrs....that's almost like a gift. You will have a blast making your new house your home! Have fun!