• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cloud Sign??

jeffblair5

I handle sales for a wholesale sign manufacturer. I have less than a year's experience in the sign business and I find many people depending on thier experience and geographical location have different terms that mean different things.

I had a guy ask me for quotes on some "cloud" sign faces today. To me a cloud sign has no retainers and the face actually caps over the box and is attached using screws through the reveal into the cabinet.

What does a "cloud" sign mean to you?
progress.gif

Mainframe

I call any channel letter type logo sign, a cloud sign, in other words, a big one piece channel letter that is shaped like the customer's logo, usually has vinyl on the font of the face on top of the acrylic or lexan.

skyhigh

The first and only time I heard anyone refer to a "cloud" sign, is PizzHut signage.

I assume its a cabinet with a contour shape. Randon shape like a cloud?

visual800

mainframe is correct. Sometime we give our customers a chioce of individual channem or a cloud. It is usually a one peice sign with returns trimcap just like normal. I like them they save money and time for sure

Marlene

I always thought they looked so poor and cheesssssssy.......

why? there are some out there that are really nice. it all depends on the company logo. when given the option to make a cabinet sign or shape a sign, I think the shaped (cloud) always looks better

kgirl

why? there are some out there that are really nice. it all depends on the company logo. when given the option to make a cabinet sign or shape a sign, I think the shaped (cloud) always looks better

some is probably more correct than not....that 99 cent store, Shakey's Pizza.....O'Reily's auto parts, Midas.... look is just cheap....it makes the business look 99 cents......I know sign shops would love to do those all day and cut corners......but it just looks.......you know......low budget.... :wink:

Marlene

......I know sign shops would love to do those all day and cut corners......but it just looks.......you know......low budget

low budget? not so. a shaped sign cost more than just a sign cabinet with some letters. again, it depends on the logo as the ones you brought up like Midas would look like they look as individual channel letters or a cloud. a shpaed sign always looks better than a plain old box and is hardly a low budget sign. logos make all the difference.

kgirl

low budget? not so. a shaped sign cost more than just a sign cabinet with some letters. again, it depends on the logo as the ones you brought up like Midas would look like they look as individual channel letters or a cloud. a shpaed sign always looks better than a plain old box and is hardly a low budget sign. logos make all the difference.

Sorry......don't mean to step on any toes but.....even nice logos look like junk...and come off cheap in one of those....show a pic of something that you think looks nice......

Marlene

not sure who to credit for this sign as I found it online for an example. I think it looks nice. I don't have any photos at hand to post but I have seen some really nice stuff. things only need to look cheap if you let them

Attachments

• cloud 1.jpg
    cloud 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 122