Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloudy 3M 8518

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Rooster, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    The last little bit of a roll I just finished left a pretty cloudy appearance when I applied it to a solid black sign face.

This isn't silvering which I'm familiar with, but instead it's like the actual laminate has a cloudy appearance, which was only on the very end of the roll.

Has anybody seen this before? Will it go away like silvering does, or do you think it's a permanent thing?

Tags:
  2. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Active Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Our 8518s have had the same issue the last few feet on a roll as well. Youre not the only one noticing it.

3. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Yes about 3 times....the last 10 or 15 feet of my 8518 had that look to it. It looks like it was roughed up a bit...and if you look at it from a distance...there's an angled pattern to it.

4. Rooster

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Seeing as how it's on a solid black signface, do you think that a day in the sun might make it go away?

5. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Yes the Heat from the sun will get rid of it, but you can also just heat it yourself with a torch.

6. Rooster

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    It was nice out yesterday. It only took about 20 minutes in the sun and it faded away.

7. signdesigner1

signdesigner1 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Palm Harbor
    What liner does this have? The coated paper or clear poly? I've noticed rolls I get that have the paper liner have this mottling, but the new clear liner doesn't have this problem. (although it is a bit difficult to get off/setup in the laminator)

8. Rooster

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    It was the clear liner.