• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clumps of Ink

Kelsey Adams

Just replaced printhead and dampers, works much better! But now I’m getting clumps of ink on the side of media I am using. Thoughts on what could be causing this??

Picture attached. Machine is Mutoh VJ-1204.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 138

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Since it's a new head you can rule out ink build up on the bottom of the head but you should check to make sure there isn't a bunch of ink built up on the bottom of the carriage. When ink builds up it makes inkcycles and then ink drop down from them on the vinyl.

The most common cause is a bad damper/damper connection to the ink line. Dampers are responsible for holding ink in the system. If they fail or the connection between them and the ink line is letting air in, ink will fall out of the head sometimes. If there is air bubbles in the ink line, that's the problem.

Double check that your wiper isn't stuck in the wipe position as the head can hit it and cause this issue. Make sure the spit sponge is not swelling up and touching the bottom of the head while it travels as well.

And last but not least, make sure you cap top is draining fully after a cleaning cycle. If there is still ink in the cap top after a cleaning cycle the ink will stick to the head and then drop when it moves.