• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CM2 not compatible with Illustrator CC 2018

dypinc

Just a word of warning for those of you with old plotters that need Cutting Master 2. CM2 causes Illustrator CC 2018 to crash. If Graphtec will update CM2 for Illustrator CC 2018 is anybodies guess. Doesn't seem likely they will support old cutters by updating old software but if anyone finds out different let us know.

WildWestDesigns

The joys of being "bleeding edge" on one thing and not on another.

I seriously doubt that they would fix it, but one can always hope.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i know i was thinking about updating from cm2 to cm 3. but my cutter needs a firmware upgrade first.
i am always hesitant to change something that is working

ikarasu

They have a warning saying not to update on their site because cm4 isn't compatible.

I made the plunge anyways, seeing as how it keeps 2017 installed. I copied cm3/4 over to 2018... Cm3 caused a crash.

I don't like cm4... It's better in every way, but I'm used to cm3. So I'm hoping they upgrade cm3 at least..

Cm4 worked perfectly all day for me though.

Joe House

I don't see Graphtec updating CM 2 or CM 3. They switched to CM4 because the vendor for CM3 wasn't able to keep up with Adobe updates. And it always takes a bit to for Graphtec to catch up when a major Adobe or Corel update comes out. Be patient. As for older plotters that aren't supported by CM-4, you may have opt for something like Flexi Cut or Sign Lab or update your plotter.

soundhound

just a short rant from the "moldy figs" among us.

As an up-to-date graphic designer, I must have illustrator cc and photoshop cc on hand.

That said, I do not USE these programs, because they offer me little or no added functionality to illustrator cs6, and cs6 runs on Snow leopard, which can talk to Leopard, which can talk to OS 8.6, which can talk to OS7. All of my old OS-es are frozen in time, and I do not update anything.

Long story short- I am using an old Graphtek 4100-75 plugged serial to an old power mac 8100. I save all my plot files as illustrator 3, and send them through the network to the old mac running OS7 with FLEXI 5.8 which I got free from Jimmy Chang for helping him get flexi off the ground.

No fancy hardware to show off... but get this... I figure my savings to date at around $50,000.

WildWestDesigns

All of my old OS-es are frozen in time, and I do not update anything.

...old power mac 8100.

I pretty much do the same thing with my older (or not too terribly older) Windows OSs, but I virtualize them to run on newer hardware. That way I don't have to worry about still finding parts for that old physical rig. But they are all "frozen in time". In fact, they are at the exact state that they were in on their installation media. Sometimes that may be with SP1 (Vista), sometimes that may be the original release (Win 98).

Not quite as easy to do for Macs without losing functionality (and not quite within their EULA either), unless you spoof that old hardware as well.

However, one does it, I firmly believe that production rigs should be offline and only updated when it is necessary.

Being "bleeding edge" on production rigs (production rigs in how we use them, if these are production server rigs that for production have to be online, that's different) has it's own cons and with all those auto update going around, even more so.

But that's just me.