• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CMYK and RGB

swarnes

Hi,

I saved this file in Illustrator as PDF also EPS test. The colours are CMYK and not RGB, but the preview shows RGB Green the brighter version, then I enable monitor proofing and it changed to the actual CMYK colour.

Why does it do this?

It does print the CMYK colour as displayed on the right, but why is it showing RGB on the left if the CMYK colour is the one being printed? I am so confused!

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-16 010521.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 010521.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
but the preview shows RGB Green the brighter version, then I enable monitor proofing and it changed to the actual CMYK colour.

Why does it do this?
The preview on the right is just that, a preview. This particular preview is offered to warn you of what could happen when printing from, in your case, the RGB color space to the printer's CMYK color space. Both views are getting their information from ICC color profiles. The input profile from your source file, the other being the output profile from your printer.

Costa Mesa Sign

I always export RGB color mode PDFs for print as I believe the RIP engine / profile is better at converting the RGB mode to CMYK output.

This can be tested with a side by side print comparison.