• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CMYK printing

For the last year that I have had my Edge I have only printed using Spot colors.. The other day I broke down and bought Bergen designs custom fillls to try my luck at printing some cool stuff. Bill informed me these are printed using CMYK.. this is a territory I'm unfamiliar with... which CMYK color pallette should I use? I currently have the Gerber process pallette up but find it hard to get a consistant color that i see on the screen. I have a Pantone color bridge chart should i use the Pantone solid coated and then find the matching color off my bridge chart? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. :thankyou:This may seem like a stupid question but I have to ask..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It sure sounds to me like you're talking about a lot of different things at once.

If you are printing using process color fills such as Bergen's or my Plotter Art™ Seamless Textures, you are not involved with any color palettes. Rather, you are involved with color modes, input profiles, color space, halftones and output print profiles. So, for fills such as Bergen or Plotter Art that are to be printed with process foils, I use the following and get very happy results:

• The color mode of the imported image should be RGB. It will be converted to CMYK when you output it. Start with RGB ... trust me.
  • The input profile is best set in an image editor such as Photoshop and may already have been set by the publisher of the image. Your choice of Gerber [GSP] Default Monitor; Gerber [GSP] Internal Color Working Space; Gerber [GSP] RGB; sRGB IEC61966-2.1; Apple RGB; or Adobe RGB [1998]. They all work ... my preference is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
  • Set the halftone for most jobs to Gerbertone STC Photo and the LPI to 70.7. The higher the LPI the smaller the halftone dots but at the sacrifice of tonal quality.
  • When you output the file, turn off Automatic Color Management and manually select the output profile named Gerber EDGE II 300 DPI CMYK. You will just have to trust me on this but following what I have listed here will give you customer pleasing results and will most closely look like what you are seeing on your monitor.
As the the other side of your post ... selecting colors from palettes, Gerber does any conversion to the closest CMYK match from any source you select. Select a spot color and then click on Fill tool and change from Spot to Process. You can also select Pantone colors from the same dialog if you prefer. You will also do well to choose a pleasant halftone pattern and LPI setting. I prefer Classical Dot and and LPI of 53 if gradients are present or 70.7 if the fill is a solid. Again, when you output, manually select the Gerber EDGE II 300 DPI CMYK profile in the 123 dialog in GSPPlot.

If your job is color critical, then do test swatches before you produce. You cannot expect thermal resins to match right up to solid color out of a Pantone book. There will be variations and halftone, LPI and output profile will all have an effect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Fred.. anything you post helps.. I will do a few prints hopefully tomorrow and see what happens.. I searched CMYK in earlier threads and saw what you said about EdgeII 300 dpi cmyk and made it a preferance just so I wouldn't forget... I forgot about choosing Spot colors then selecting Process... I bet I have only scratched the surface of Omega and the Edge.. Thanks again!

Tony Teveris

PeeWee you need to attend one of our "road show" events. In your area June 16/17 in San Fran, check www.gspinc.com - road show - Dana will give you some great ideas and you can bug him about "groups in groups".

GB2

Old Member
Tony, I think it would be a great idea if you could keep posting reminders about the Roadshow schedule as it proceeds across the country all year. I have the schedule posted on my calendar right in front of me but you know I'll miss it if I'm not reminded frequently! I'm sure plenty of people aren't even aware that it is taking place near them and would like to attend if they know about it.