• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CMYK values changing

T

TonyC

I recently replaced all of our computers and after installing Versaworks our printed colors have changed. Reds are the main problem. I have narrowed the problem down to the CMYK values being changed in Versaworks. We design in Flexisign (Flexicloud) and export to Versaworks for printing to our VS-640 Roland (set up with CMYK x2). We use the Roland Color System Library in Flexi. For instance, the input values for PR42K (listed in versaworks, file format) are 0,100,87,0 but the output values are 2,98,85.1,2. This is happening with all the colors. I have tried changing settings in Flexi and in versaworks but the only way I can achieve the correct output values and colors is to manually change the values in versaworks output each print job. What am I missing? What program is causing this? Flexi? Versaworks? or the Roland Color Library? AND I still cannot figure how to make paragraphs on this dang message center. Sorry for the long runon ramblings.

MikePro

rip software color management/profile handling options. If you're intending to handle the cmyk values purely through your design software then turn ICC Profiles OFF in the RIP's color management options.

2B

+1 to the ICC profiles

our designer uses Corel and colors are all in the design program, and after any update he has to go in and make sure that the ICC profiles have not changed and the RIP is not overriding the design file settings

FrankW

If the output values of colors selected from the Color System Library Palette changes in printing, I'm shure you have forgotten to activate the color replacement (tab "file" in job properties).

T

TonyC

I have tried....

I have tried with "convert spot colors" checked and unchecked. I did notice my Roland Library in versaworks is dated 2006 and all the other color palettes are dated 2013. Even if I check "use spot color library" the values are not correct. The values in the spot color library are correct but I still have to manually input for correct CMYK values.

FrankW

How do you export the data from Flexi to VersaWorks? Are there colors shown in the list in the "File Format"-Window? How do you recognize that the colors are wrong?

T

TonyC

NEW info....

I send from Flexi with the convenient "send to versaworks" button. I do see the changes in the "file format" section of versaworks. The values from Library Output are correct. The Printer Output is where the changes are being found. I did however find today that when I send to Queue B the colors are fine. I use Queue B for banners. The banners print correct. I changed my default material in Queue A to several vinyl profiles and the CMYK values change every time. I used a banner profile in Queue A and the values are correct for printer output. This &&^#*@() thing is driving me nuts. I still cannot get red to print to my liking. I have tried every profile and combination I can think of. I am about to the point the problem is the Oracal vinyl (3165RA). I have even tried printing from the banner profile that worked well on 13oz gloss banner. ANY ideas?

C

ColoPrinthead

Are you using Pantone mixes or builds from another color library that allow you to verify whether or not the oput color is correct? RIPs will change the color build to the mix that is necessary for the device to produce the target color. You may be getting wrapped up in a non-issue, as a builds appearance will vary depending on the oput process/device; an offset press isn't going to match the digital press at kinkos across town.

I like to recommmend the book Real World Color Management to those interested into getting deeper into color. http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Color-Management-Edition/dp/0321267222

FrankW

RIPs will change the color build to the mix that is necessary for the device to produce the target color. You may be getting wrapped up in a non-issue, as a builds appearance will vary depending on the oput process/device; an offset press isn't going to match the digital press at kinkos

The issue is about CMYK-Spot Color Mapping, what means using spot colors in the document to print exact CMYK-Values (according to a CMYK-Swatchbook printed out of the RIP).

@ Tony C:

I would like to see Screendumps too.