Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cmyk values for grey

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by rushworks graphics, Jun 21, 2011.

1. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    i'm trying to get a medium battleship grey in illistrator then printing via versa works on our roland vp540i.
    i'm using c-0 m-0 y-0 k-50% to try and get the color i need. now, when it prints it comes out looking like it has a greenish tinge to it. for the life of me i can not get the color i need! i've tried using the roland color chart but i doesn't really have the grey i need. so, i have gone back to trying to mix my color in illy.
    i've tried 50%-60%-70% black, but it just doesn't look right. any ideas on how to do it, or what i maybe doing wrong!

Tags:
  2. eye4clr

eye4clr Member

Feb 10, 2006
    try something like....
    5C/10M/0Y/30K

3. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    ok, i'll give that a go.....thanks!

4. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Try C45 M27 Y17 K51 Battleship gray

5. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    thanks guys! got what i needed to do the job..........................headsup............theres acouple of beers coming your way!

6. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    The rip software probably is taking your 50% K and breaking it into a four color subsitute -which never works for grays. But it looks like you got what you were looking for.

7. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    yeah............it was coming out greenish! i looked online at color charts etc and was getting there, but thought i'd post on here, see what you guys come up with and as usuall............. got what i needed! awesome!

8. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Printing greys is the hardest thing to do with my printers. No rip software or printer has changed that. Whenever i need a true grey, i go into Photoshop, and grey scale a random color. THAT's how i get my true grey.

9. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    thanks for the info! yeah, i can usually get pretty much any color close enough, but man, trying to get a good battleship grey was starting to get right on my nerves!

10. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    what worked for you?

11. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    a mixture of using rgb color charts(online) seeing the values there and then getting some tips from the guys above. the roland color charts were not much help on this one, the color in illy was a hit and miss also!