• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CMYK Vs CMYK Lc Lm Lk in VS-640i

Felix Sepulveda

I'm in the process of getting a new Roland VS-640i for my print shop that works mainly for decor, fine art and photography. I have two porpuses: 1. To use the printer in canvas prints. 2. To enter the signage market that is really the high volume in my country. Here, most of the the Rolands are in double CMYK for speed. The vendor is telling me that since I do photography and work for artists (in my current business model) I should get the 7 color version. In my heart I love quality, buy I don't know if in this machine the difference is worth the speed sacrifice. I will like to get the advise from those that have experience or knowledge in this topic. I really want the quality, but in that printer - art concerning - I will do mostly canvas prints and I will try to get into banners, decals and vinils. Thanks a lot in advance !!!

rturner381

Since your training is in fine art and color management, you will probably find the colors of your competition are "off". Therefore, I would encourage you to go with the seven colors and manage your production accordingly.

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
The question you should answer is: Do you charge your customer the same price ?
Remember 7-color will cost you more eventually.

Robert M

Epson Sure Color

If you need 8 color and speed, take a look at the Epson Sure Color. With rebates etc, you may pay the same money.

Felix Sepulveda

Well, thanks all, I really thought that I was going to get mixed answers, since some of the local guys are telling me that the difference is not that much (in quality) but that it is a lot in speed (almost double), therefore nobody with not so fast models goes with the extra colors. Unfortunately I have not been able to see the same image printed in machines with 4 and 7 colors. By the way my aqueous printers are Canon 12 colors (44" and 60"), but I have a problem with the 60" after 5 years of good service.

Concerning the Epson Surecolor it is a new machine in our market (there are like 5 in the whole country), the vendor is only distributing the 4 color model here. I have seen the prints and they look really good for a 4 color printer.

Please, I would like to here more opinions. Thanks a lot.

VL

If you are concerned about speed get a takeup reel and also the Benz heater. This way you can print after hours. We have a 540i and print a lot of B&W. The Lk ink is great! We also have the extra heater and that is a must for faster drying of white or metallic inks. I like it because it also helps speed up the dry time of 7 color prints.

ProColorGraphics

You will definitely notice a difference in light colors, like skin tone. I was comparing test prints from the S30 and S70 and I could definitely tell a difference. I would also suggest the 7 color setup.

Felix Sepulveda

Well, just to get more opinions, I will get into a market that is price driven here. I have been thinking during the night that it is going to be more expensive to run the 7 colors than the 4 colors (inks, electricity, parts and labor). I will try to get a good printed B/W and an image with subtle colors and skin tones in a CMYK model. If they are reasonable enough I will go with the 4 color. I still have a good Canon IPF8100, for the demanding audience. Thanks a lot and comments are welcome !!!