• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cnc cut depth help please

S

Stan B

can someone remind me how to set a Z-Axiz on Dimension 200E?

I put .25 inch material on top of the table

then I put 1/8 inch PVC on it to cut it through....

I put a height gage on top of my PVC, inizializing it about 1/4 above the PVC surface

than in Enroute I set material thickness (.25 + 1/8) and cut depth 1/8

but the router does not cut my PVC through even if I set (any crazy) parameters in Enroute,
it's always cutting only about half of the 1/8 depth? no matter what I change

Can you please help?
Thanks!
Stan

k.a.s.

I don't know enroute or your router, but do you have to set a max depth? If you did'nt set this that may be why it does not cut all the way through.

Kevin

S

Stan B

There are hole bunch of depths but no Max Depth....

let me ask this... The Z Axis Init - I have some sort of a gage (ranging from 1/16 to an inch) that I suppose to put on top of material and then manually initilize Z Axis buy lowering the bit to touch the that gage on some thickness. This confuses me because the bit doesnt touch the material but the gage that sits on top of material and set Z init way above the material. I always thought that the bit should touch the surface of material to initialize. What that gage is for???

GVP

I can't help with your specific machine/software, but you are refering to a 'zero plate'. This should be a plate of a known thickness that sits on top of your material. The bit makes contact with the plate and completes an electrical circuit, telling the control software it's reach "zero". The software then usually adjusts for the thickness of the plate thus establishing the actual zero surface (i.e. the top of your material) At least, that's how it is on our router...

GB2

Old Member
To do the Z Axis initialize, you need a Z Axis guage, which looks like a 3" x 5" piece of acrylic with a scratched surface. This guage is approximately 1/4" and allows your router to know where the top surface of the material is. The guage you are trying to use is a depth guage and is used for an entirely different purpose. You can download the manual from the Gerber site if you don't have one and that will give you all the instruction you need to operate the router.

S

Stan B

ok... after reading the manual.... I put the "material step hight gage" NEXT to material, initialized the Z init on the gage, and it is still not cutting through. Only 1/2 way of 3mm PVC.... In the enroute I set material thickness 1/4, cut depth 1/4.... ???

S

Stan B

To do the Z Axis initialize, you need a Z Axis guage, which looks like a 3" x 5" piece of acrylic with a scratched surface. This guage is approximately 1/4" and allows your router to know where the top surface of the material is. The guage you are trying to use is a depth guage and is used for an entirely different purpose. You can download the manual from the Gerber site if you don't have one and that will give you all the instruction you need to operate the router.

GB2, is this acryllic part connected\wired to a router or just a plain plastic part? I'm missing it.

In the manual you reffered me to it says that dimension 200's Z can also be initialized with a step height gage (that I have) by placing it next to the material (not above). I still get same results and cant cut through. No matter that I do\change in Enroute...

GB2

Old Member
The acrylic guage is a seperate part that you may be missing. I will do some research and get back to you.

lilb93

You have to set the Z height on the TABLE TOP, NOT MATERIAL. If you have a piece thats 1/4" underneath what you want to cut. you add 1/4" or .250 PLUS whatever height of the piece your going to cut. Add them together and set it to your gauge height. It may be plastic or aluminum gauge. ONLY press the Z-init once. If you press it twice you have to start all over.

S

Stan B

thank you guys a lot!!!!

I finally made it work!

the problem was misanderstanding how to use a gage (table top, not the material!!!) and also I inserted the bit way to deep inside the wault, with the z all the way down the tip was 1/3" above the table.

Thanks again!