• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cnc files plug-in for illustrator or corel

bigben

Hi all! My nabor have a 5ax cnc and he's specialized in making frame for funitures. I ask him if he could cut acrylic and other stuff like that. He says no problem, but i have to provide him with cut ready files. Since i just want contour cut job (no 3d) i taught i could just send him a vector file (like a vinyl cutter). It look like it does not work like this.

so my question is: is there any plug in for corel or illustrator that will export the file ready to cut by a cnc?

Thanks.

johnnysigns

He can't use .dxf or .dwg files? If not I'm assuming he wants G-code? I don't know of any plug ins that would spit out G-code from illustrator.

2B

it is the file type not a plugin that you need, try saving the files as a DXF or DWG and see if that works with your CNC man, if not ask him what file type he uses and do the same with yours

Techman

contact this member here

jemmyell
for DFX TOOLs plugin for corel draw. Makes cut ready dfx files using corel draw. Very easy to use and very reasonable priced..

You cannot export proper cut ready DFX files out of most software packages such as illy or corel. They use the autocad standard.. They do not export curves correctly.

synergy_jim

DXF or EPS out of illustrator is importable by almost any CNC software. A plug in would be a PITA. You want the operator setting feeds and speeds in his software. this is not simple like a vinyl cutter.....

Baz

Whenever i send cut files to my CNC guy .. I just send him illustrator files version 8 or less. He has no problems with that.

I can't imagine your guy not being able to at least open an .eps file saved to an older format. Either he has never tried or just doesn't want to.

Techman

DXF or EPS out of illustrator is importable by almost any CNC software. A plug in would be a PITA.

Does illy export curved lines as an ARC or as line segments? If illy uses the autocad format it exports as line segments. According to Adobe.. illy does not export a curved line as an arc. It exports as line segments. An example of this is when a circle is exported then imported into cad. It will show an octagon instead of a round.

In fact there is a plugin for illy to fix those line segments into arcs.

I use Corel and I export as EPS or DXF (mostly eps postscript 3). I just send it with no color and a hairline black stroke. I've never had a complaint.