• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what the

Owner/op
Hi everyone.
I am looking for cnc machine to buy for sign making. Can anyone recommend Information to me since Im starting from scratch. I live in Sacramento, Ca
-reliable brands
-vendors
Or any other imput.
Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Bxtr

We have a Multicam now but are looking to replace it in the next couple of years... Their service is awful, great machine but no support.
It all depends on your budget, I would suggest getting larger than what you need. If you don't you'll be wanting a bigger.
Just do a lot of research, we are two years out and still looking into other options. Shopsabre is only 3 hours away so that's a big plus for us, plus their service seems great.
At the moment we are leaning towards getting a ShopSabre to replace it. We are going to visit them next month sometime to make sure it ticks all the boxes.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I will second the MultiCam "great machine, poor service" thing. On the plus side, their machines last. When they start having problems, though (normally after about 10 years, but still), you can be left hanging while you wait for a return call or a service visit. Or parts.
Not sure how much that's changed with them being part of Kongsberg now- but they're still serviced by the same folks who serviced them prior- though I've had good luck with a third party service guy (just wish he hadn't moved seven hours away!).

johnnysigns

I think it's important to figure out what it is you're planning on cutting on this machine. That will largely dictate which direction to go to. I will say whatever you chose, look closely at which vendors/manufacturers are local to you as service and support will be critical at some point of ownership. We run an AXYZ infinite router that has vision registration and a tangential knife setup on our machine. It's an excellent router, but lacks in speed/workflow on the knife options. It does give us the capability to a lot of different materials in our place.

JBurton

Signtologist
I had a multicam that ran for 35 years, the last 10 of those were after an in house retrofit. Solid machine, but it was several generations old, and too heavy to drive fast with the stepper motor setup it was built with. We replaced it with a shop sabre IS612, and I've never looked back. There have been a couple of issues with my machine, but everything was simple to resolve over the phone. Basically all of the parts are user replaceable, which is nice, and the support folks are knowledgeable, though some more than others.
Like johnnysigns says, it really depends on what you're aiming to do with the machine. Mine also has vision registration, but the workflow on vision jobs is trash compared to something like a zund, but I bought mine to cut aluminum primarily, so it does what I want well, but would not be great for a graphic finishing business.
Good brands:
multicam
shopsabre
axyz
laguna
zund
colex
There are more, these are all pretty much top tier (shopsabre is probably the smallest outfit of those listed, but they had the best pricing when I was shopping)

John Miller

We've been running a Laguna 5x10 machine for the last 12 years. The machine is well built has all the capabilities of more expensive rigs and Laguna's service is responsive (we've needed it 3 times). Things to keep in mind. Get a machine larger than you think you need. Get a spindle more powerful than you think you need and get an automatic tool changer.
Vacuum hold down is very handy but check how your electric company figures your electric rates. Ours is based on a demand rate from the previous month. The first time we run the vacuum system on ours, it sets us up for a +- $500 delivery fee on the next month's electric bill. Kinda sucks when you pay more for the delivery of your electricity than you pay for the electricity itself. Mechanical hold down works fine.

JBurton

Signtologist
I have chatted with these guys, but haven't used it. The owner was very nice to talk to. They look like solid machines.
What in the world is up with these pneumatic rollers? I've never seen anything of these sort, and while I can imagine it would be helpful at times, it seems like a lot of hassle for a nominal amount of help. Like, I'm cutting 4" letters, they'd sit between those rollers, so no benefit, and on something like foam you'd just need to remove them.

Also, +1 on John Miller's recomendation on ATC and a powerful spindle, and I had a different problem with my vacuum pump power supply, we spent $10k getting 3 phased pulled to it, one time that was particularly crazy was a slow blow circuit breaker that cost $900. Friggin square D is top of the line, and they are proud of those niche parts. Also, pulling 900 amps for 2-4 seconds requires some serious capacity, make sure your electric company is providing you with enough capacity already, or scope out what it will cost to have them pull another line out. Nothing worse than getting new equipment financed and then a credit line just for installation.